Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Prevent WEB GL Save data from being deleted

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by misanthropowitsch, Jul 26, 2019.

1. misanthropowitsch

misanthropowitsch

Hi there,

I´m currently building a game that is meant to be played via browser.
    The game itself is most likely stored on something like S3.

Now to my problem.. Since there´s a progression system with badges and achievements it would be bad if people deleted all their progress but deleting their browsercache/cookies.

I can see three ways and would love to discuss about possibilities to make that work.

1. Is there a way to save stuff on the local machine (not in saved to browsercookies) of the user and load it in after playing again via browser?

2. is it possible to make an exception for browsers to exclude certain domains from clearing cache/cookie? (you can manually delete cookies one by one. Didn´t find a function to just make an exception for one single site)

3. How would I go on if both methods don´t work and I´d have to build a web/server based solution? I didn´t do anything like that before and I´m afraid it also might exceed my skills since my knowledge about servers, java and so on is.. well not existing currently.

I´d also gladly work with a site like itch.io and so on, but as far as I can tell there´s no way for these sites to save the data on their servers.

Am I doomed? (lol)

Edit: How do I delete this thread? Found out there´s a specific WEB GL board. Posted to that, but don´t want to spam the forums.

Best,

Dome

Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
  2. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

I'd skip straight to a server used to save progress. You could roll your own with PHP/MySQL, or use a database as a service provider like Playfab. Is there a reason you don't want to just do standalone builds instead of WebGL?