Search Unity

Prevent translation overshooting

Discussion in 'Entity Component System' started by Radu392, Oct 22, 2019.

1. Radu392

Radu392

Code (CSharp):
    1.         [BurstCompile]
    2.         struct ManageBulletsJob : IJobForEachWithEntity<Bullet, Translation, Rotation> {
    3.             public EntityCommandBuffer.Concurrent commandBuffer;
    4.             [ReadOnly] public float deltaTime;
    5.             public void Execute(Entity entity, int index, ref Bullet bullet, ref Translation translation, ref Rotation rotation) {
    6.                 if (!bullet.disabled) {
    7.                     float3 dest = bullet.destination;
    8.                     float3 pos = translation.Value;
    9.                     float3 targetDir = math.normalize(dest - pos);
    10.                     targetDir.z = 0;
    11.                     translation.Value += targetDir * bullet.moveSpeed * deltaTime;
    12.                     float z = math.atan2(targetDir.y, targetDir.x);
    13.                     rotation.Value = quaternion.Euler(0,0,z);
    14.                     if (math.distancesq(pos, dest) < 0.2f) {
    15.                         // reached target, destroy yourself
    16.                             bullet.disabled = true;
    17.                         commandBuffer.DestroyEntity(index, entity);
    18.                     }
    19.                 }
    20.             }
    21.         }
    So this code works fine when the Time.timeScale is set to 1. However, I'm now looking to implement a speedup feature into my game and I want to set the timeScale to 10. Every one of my systems works as expected except the job posted above. When I do that, not only do bullets overshoot the target, but they also switch direction when they reach the target for a single frame.

In the picture, the target is the orange square.

Unity_2019-10-22_10-42-37.png
    One frame later:
    Unity_2019-10-22_10-43-11.png

Then one frame later they finally disappear. I think they do so because they overshot their target, so they have to turn back until they hit that 0.2 distance req. I don't want to increase that number any higher because it would just cause artifacts on other time scales and would still be frame dependent, whereas I need a frame independent solution.

In normal monobehavior code, you'd just turn on Continuous collision detection on your rigidbody, but even if there is such a way with dots physics, I'd rather avoid using physics completely. How do you handle such a case using just math? How can I tell if the translation.Value has gone past the destination? Because if I knew that, then I could just simply set its position to the destination then destroy the bullet.

Edit: Solved by following this example:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions...s-between-two-points-drawn-on-a-straight-line

Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
  2. eizenhorn

eizenhorn

You already know how much distance it fly in this frame, just check if sqr length of this vector greater than sqr length of your pos-dist. This is pretty common :)

3. calabi

calabi

I had the same problem in a job. I just used math.distance and checked if it was greater than and reset it back within the limits.