Search Unity

Prevent stripping

Discussion in 'Addressables' started by faolad, Jun 9, 2019.

1. faolad

faolad

I have been having lots of issues cause addressables keep stripping code, is there any easy (global) way around on this?

Modifying the link.xml file doesn't seems to work

2. unity_bill

unity_bill

can you be more specific?

the only place I know of an issue is with iOS builds. This is an engine bug that is broken in 18.3, and fixed in 19.2. I do not know if it's fixed in 18.4 or 19.1. The workaround if you cannot use one of the fixed platforms is to turn of code stripping in your player settings.

if this isn't your issue, let me know what you're talking about.

faolad likes this.
  3. Ferazel

Ferazel

The example issue that he was talking about is likely this one:
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/game-is-broken.691066/#post-4632415

Engine stripping can shave MB of app size off the final app which can be important. Can you please request that the fix in 19.2 be backported to 2018.4 for iOS code stripping assets referenced in the addressable system? If you are going to support 2018.4 with the final release (which I hope since addressables was originally targeting a 2018.2 requirement).

I'm perusing these forums trying to get a better grasp of where addressables are from a production-ready standpoint. If the answer is, "upgrade to 2019.2 or disable code stripping" for our largest platform, those are unacceptable answers and discouraging me from even considering the feature. Please treat IL2CPP platforms with engine stripping as critical platforms.

faolad likes this.
  4. faolad

faolad

I'm building for iOS indeed. And even doe I turn off the code stripping I keep getting this errors in other scripts (not engine related). I tried several things to go around that. For example, referencing those scripts in a Bootstrapper Scene included in the Player build, but still. Some stuff is not working.

5. unity_bill

unity_bill

I believe the intent is to backport this, but I will note that this has nothing to do with addressables. This is a larger problem, and one the ios team is aware of.

If that's the case, then there is something larger going on here than addressables or normal code stripping. I would suggest filing a Unity bug report.

faolad likes this.