Search Unity

Prevent HDRI sky from fading in / out

Discussion in 'High Definition Render Pipeline' started by TheCelt, Oct 15, 2020.

1. TheCelt

TheCelt

This is annoying the heck out of me now, my HDRI sky keeps fading out and losing detail when something bright is close to the camera, i do not want this to happen.

My hdri is a star field in space, when i'm near a bright planet the stars on the HDRI sky disappear and fade out. I get thats realistic but i don't want that to happen.

How do you setup the HDRI to always show regardless of how bright something is near the camera?

2. PraetorBlue

PraetorBlue

I think this is due to the Tone Mapping effect on your Postprocessing Volume. Turn that off.

3. Onat-H

Onat-H

You have to set the Exposure mode in your Volume from "automatic" to "fixed".

4. TheCelt

TheCelt

Yes i have but when i have a semi transparent material between camera and hdri sky behind it or a bright object near the camera the hdri sky fades out.

See this image:
    upload_2020-10-15_23-47-36.png

Near a bright object the stars in the HDRI sky don't show much, but if the camera ( in game window) is not near the planet, it shows the stars more prominently.

Why is this ?

My volume is set to global.

See image above, i don't have a post processing applied to my volume.

5. Tricktale

Tricktale

From your screenshot, it looks like you've changed Adaptation Mode to Fixed instead of the main Mode above it.

6. TheCelt

TheCelt

That's what I thought you had to do to keep the exposure the same regardless of other objects?

7. andyz

andyz

This is one of the problems of the super realism HDRP. Personally I want the background/sky to be a fixed shade and any auto exposure to only be based on visible objects.
    Often sky/background is not of importance, like something with a cut-through scene (isometric dungeon, cut-through product visualizer etc, space) does not want to take the background into the exposure calculations.

Auto exposure sounds great until you look at the wrong thing and it over/under exposes too far - though setting limits helps some

8. TheCelt

TheCelt

Are you saying there is no way to stop it ???

9. andyz

andyz

Fixed exposure.
    The adaption mode is about instantly changing auto exposure or slowly as per Docs
    Set exposure mode to fixed and change the fixed exposure value