Search Unity

Feature Request Prevent an incorrect cache from being pushed to and propagated with Unity Accelerator

Discussion in 'Unity Accelerator' started by bitinn, Jun 10, 2021.

1. bitinn

bitinn

Hi,

Cache Server used to have this High Reliability mode that use confidence score to prevent a good cache from being replaced with a bad cache.

https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/unity-cache-server#high-reliability-mode

I am not aware of any option like that for Unity Accelerator, can the team explain how does Unity Accelerator prevent such a problem?

We observed this problem with a shader cache recently: an incorrect shader compilation result are uploaded and propagated to some team members, making the material show up as purple.

(The exact cause was due to shader graph variant limit, even though these team members have setup a higher threshold correctly, their unity downloaded the incorrect cache from accelerator.)

And we cannot just switch back to Cache Server as we are already using V2 asset pipeline.

Thx.

2. bitinn

bitinn

Hi, I submitted this question 2 months ago and got zero reply.

I think this question deserves some answers?

futurlab_peterh likes this.
  3. HG_SB

HG_SB

Bump, such a setting would be greatly appreciated.

4. einWikinger

einWikinger

Yeah, I'd like that feature for accelerator as well.

Accepting broken artifacts into the cache is a big productivity downer if you then have to
    a) detect the situation correctly (suddenly nested prefab dependencies start to break... etc..)
    b) get the accelerator offline
    c) clear the accelerator cache
    d) instruct *everyone* (including CI) to delete their Library folder and reimport everything (as just reimporting certain assets will leave the local library artifacts in a broken state)
    e) Wait for everyone to finish (2-6 hours)
    f) Continue actual work.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2022
  5. rugbbyli

rugbbyli

Agree, we occur the same problem, one of our working branch modify a prefab, make it exists in all other branch's build result (our ci delete Library before building), and we have no way to correct it, except remove accelerator database.

6. bitinn

bitinn

Almost a year at this point I would say basically no one at Unity have time to work on this.