Search Unity

Pressing "Overrides" button on a prefab inside a scene crashes unity

Discussion in 'Prefabs' started by crysicle, May 7, 2019.

1. crysicle

crysicle

As the tittle explains, pressing "Overrides" on one of the prefab instances inside the scene causes a crash. This only happens on one particular GameObject. The rest of the prefabs and their instances do not cause this behaviour. If i create another instance of the same prefab, unity doesn't crash. If i delete the instance which is crashing unity and then create another instance of the same prefab, unity doesn't crash. If i update the prefab via opening it and changing something, the instance properly updates with the prefab, without crashing. If i strip the whole prefab, only leaving a Transform component and then clicking "Overrides" on the same instance, it still crashes.

I was unable to troubleshooot why this one particular instance of a prefab is crashing, changing the prefab itself, various instantiations, none replicated the crash. This seems to be linked to some kind of manipulation of that particular instance of the prefab, though i do not know what i did to it to cause such behaviour.

Not reporting it as a bug, since reporting unreplicable crashes is a waste of both mine and unity dev's time. Creating this thread so that in case someone runs into the same issue, they might know why exactly this is happening.

Unity rev: 2019.1.0f2

2. runevision

runevision

If it happens every time you try it with that GameObject in that project, we'd like a bug report with repro steps and the project attached, if possible, so we can look into it.

3. SauronDark

SauronDark

yeah it happens for me too, however in reply to my Bug report, Dev said, bug fixed in 2019.2, but that is in Beta, and i don't want to use beta for my current project, and this bug helping me huge delay in my project >.<, and worse when i have to redo everything that i lost in that crash

Last edited: May 15, 2019
  4. runevision

runevision

What's the case number? We backport almost all Prefab-related bug-fixes.

5. SauronDark

SauronDark

sorry for not including case number in previews post, here it is

Case 1148983

screenshots in conversation are broken and irrecoverable, blame gyazo for that, however not so important

6. runevision

runevision

It seems your case is a marked as a duplicate of this one:
    https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/is...ow-in-instance-of-name-based-replaced-variant

This bug should be fixed in
    2018.3.13f1
    2019.1.1f1
    2019.2.0a14
    2019.3.0a1

If you are using an earlier version of one of these releases, please upgrade. If you're seeing this bug (or something like it), still in versions later than this, please file a new bug report, as the ones we have do not reproduce.

DrummerB, Deleted User and SauronDark like this.
  7. K0ST4S

K0ST4S

I have this bug in 2019.1.0f2

8. runevision

runevision

As stated above, it's fixed in 2019.1.1f1. You'd need to upgrade to that to get that fix.