Search Unity

Bug PresenceSubscription stops working after subscribed accounts logs out and in again

Discussion in 'Vivox (Voice & Text Chat)' started by SvChristian, Jan 18, 2023.

1. SvChristian

SvChristian

Hey,

we want to implement a User Online Status, using the Vivox Presence feature. For that reason we add a PresenceSubscription for each of the users "friends" in order to get notified when the subscribed accounts log in and out.

Unfortunately we ran into the problem/bug, that this only works until the subscribed account logs out as described below:
    We assume, Player A subscribed to Player B. Player A is online.
    • Player B comes online -> Player A gets notified
    • Then Player B goes offline -> Player A gets notified
    • Then Player B comes online again -> Player A gets NOT notified.
    The AccountName for Player B is the same every time.
    We also checked if it's just an event not being fired or such, but the list of locations for the subscribed account remains 0 although we know that the subscribed account is logged in at that very moment.

Even if Player A now unsubscribes and resubscribes to Player B, he will not get any update until his client is restarted. If Player A restarts his client, he will get informed about Players B status once more.

Edit: Another addition - when Player B logs in at multiple locations, Player A gets informed every time Player B logs in at any of those locations. But as soon as Player B logs out at any of his locations, Player A will not get informed anymore. So the Unity Plugin seems to mess something up when a subscribed account logs out at one of his locations.

We tried with Unity Package 15.1.180001-pre.5 as well as 15.1.190200-pre.2.

Any idea what might go wrong here? Do we miss something? Any hint and suggestion is very much welcomed.
    Unfortunately the documentation on the Presence Feature for the Unity Plugin is very spare...

Many thanks
    Christian

Last edited: Jan 18, 2023
  2. MurphyMurph_21

MurphyMurph_21

There has been a bug in the Unity SDK for presence for a couple years now. I gave up trying to implement awhile ago. There actually used to be more presence documentation for Unity but it was removed a few/many (i forget how many) months or so after Unity bought Vivox. This post explains why you shouldn't use the presence functionality and to just wait for Unity Friends. With that being said I wouldn't expect this bug to be fixed and just to treat this feature as deprecated

3. ingxel

ingxel

Hello

I have the same problem.

I would like to do something like display a list of users who are online, but I can't.

[Environment]
    Unity2021.3
    VIvox: 15.1.190400-pre.1

I would like an official response from UnityTechnology regarding the current status of PresenceSubscription.

thank you