Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

preloading scenes like sandbox map

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by danchavil, Jul 23, 2018.

1. danchavil

danchavil

Hello,

i working in a little sandbox map, but when i load a scene with additive scene manager, stop a little time to loading the scene, textures, animations and other things.
    In a games like GTA, Witcher, etc. i don't see a stop load. and some articles said, this games have a preloading maps, and my questios is.

how i can preload scenes in unity to avoid stop loading scenes and the game run continuously??

thanks

2. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

You can't, unless you have Unity's source code to fix that issue yourself.

Loading scenes async still causes the main thread to freeze, duration depends on scene complexity. It's a known issue that Unity does not want to fix, it seems:
    https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/is...c-creates-huge-performance-spikes-for-the-gpu

There are dozens of forum threads about this issue. Some people recommend to use certain asset store packages, but it seems pretty much nothing works to achieve zero hiccup in my experience, otherwise Unity games would not suffer from this issue (such as Firewatch, Kona, etc).

I know of only one Unity game that streams additional scenes without hiccups. Here is a talk from the developers what they had to do to make this possible (you need source code):

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018