Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Prejudice and Racism Towards Unity Games

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by reentrant, Oct 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reentrant

reentrant

Hi all,

I was at a cafe one afternoon and saw a couple teenagers on a large tablet, and their father was at the adjacent table, having what appeared to be a makeshift meeting with a client.

Suddenly one of the teenagers blurted out "Oh no! Not a Unity game!" and both laughed, their father telling them to be quiet. I was thinking that it had to be the logo that tipped them off. Two minutes into the game the other teenager begins asking if they can find another game. I wanted to ask them what game it was, but refrained since I didn't want to be a busybody. I was just secretly hoping it wasn't my game.

While I found what happened funny, it was also quite scary to see how even teenagers can be quite racist and prejudiced towards games just because it was made with Unity.

This type of racism doesn't belong in the 21st century. What can we do to stop this?

Also, lets not use racial slurs such as shovelware, or at least use "s-word".

2. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

You might want to look up the word "racism". It really does not apply to Unity in any way.

--Eric

Ryiah, randomperson42, HemiMG and 4 others like this.
  3. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

Shovelware is definently a thing.

Shovelware is not a dirty word. It's good to be able to recognize shovelware ('games' that are designed to be produced cheap and fast in service of a quick buck) versus a game that's just bad (e.g. 'games' that are designed to be produced cheap and fast, because the developer has no resources/dosen't know what he or she is doing/whatever.) I think knowing the difference between the two as a consumer and a developer is rather important.

elmar1028 and MrBrainMelter like this.
  4. makeshiftwings

makeshiftwings

*looks at title*

*looks at poster's post count*

Yup, it's a troll.

VicToMeyeZR and AndrewGrayGames like this.
  5. HemiMG

HemiMG

Clearly you're being racist towards trolls. There's no room for that here. :)

calmcarrots and randomperson42 like this.
  6. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

It's not racism. It's an engine. This is a stupid thread and I'm shutting it down.

Aurore, Ryiah, Amon and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.