Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Prefabs vs EntityGroups

Discussion in 'Project Tiny' started by ronblockparty, Feb 5, 2019.

1. ronblockparty

ronblockparty

Browsing through the sample projects, it seems like when many of the same type of entity need to be created, an EntityGroup is instantiated rather than a prefab. For example, the MatchThree sample's GemService class has a static method createGemOfType that instantiates the Gem EntityGroup. FlyingYolk's SpawnerSystem class similarly instantiates Pipes, which are also an EntityGroup.

Is there any guidance on when EntityGroups should be used vs Prefabs? Based on the documentation and my very little experience starting to port a game to Tiny, EntityGroups can be used where Prefabs would have been used in vanilla Unity.

Thanks!

2. abeisgreat

abeisgreat

You're correct, as it stands today you should use EntityGroups as prefabs when working in Tiny.

In the tutorial video series (I think) they mention that at some point proper Prefab support will come, but I can't say what they would offer over EntityGroups.

ronblockparty likes this.