Search Unity

Prefabs in Package

Discussion in 'Package Manager' started by col000r, Mar 1, 2019.

1. col000r

col000r

In 2019.1b4 I can include Prefabs in Packages, but I can't drag them into the scene.
    I'm guessing this is because I'm not supposed to change the contents of Library/PackageCache, yet I find this somewhat limiting. I have a number of cases where it'd be perfectly fine to have an immutable prefab. And if I needed to change it I could always make a variant. But at the moment it doesn't even let me copy and past it into Assets. The best I can do is open the prefab, copy the contents and make a new prefab from that.

What's the official word on this? Are all prefabs supposed to live in Samples, just like scenes or will it be possible to use a prefab directly from in there even if it means changes can't be applied?

vaibhavatul47 likes this.
  2. benoitv_unity

benoitv_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi @col000r,

Me and two of my colleagues were successfully able to drop a package prefab inside a scene using 2019.1 beta versions ranging from b2 to b6. I was also able to drag and drop the asset from the package to the Assets folder. I also received errors if I tried to somehow modify the prefab telling me that it was immutable.

Are you using a prefab from a custom package of yours or is it from one of Unity's?

Regards,
    Benoit

3. paulrts

paulrts

@benoitv_unity I'm using a custom package in 2018.1.8, and cannot drag prefabs. Will this functionality be supported at some point?

4. Dipanker_Juego

Dipanker_Juego

Hi I am also facing same problem not able to drag prefab from packages. I am using Unity 2019.1.4f1.

5. Dipanker_Juego

Dipanker_Juego

Ok I got a solution. If your Project view is in One Column Layout you cannot drag the prefab. Change to Two Column Layout view and drag and drop it works fine.

Deleted User likes this.