Search Unity

Prefabs broken after 2019.3 upgrade

Discussion in 'Prefabs' started by colinday, Jan 30, 2020.

1. GCCooper

GCCooper

I have encountered this with the newly released 2020.3.0f1 LTS

Menion-Leah likes this.
  2. Menion-Leah

Menion-Leah

Same issue here after updating from 2019.4.21f1 to 2019.4.24f1, in more than one project!
    There were some compilation errors on launch as well (due to the automatic upgrade of Unity IAP package).

Downgraded to .21f1, reimported prefabs and it looks like they eventually reverted to the previous, working condition.
    Easy to fix for small projects, but my main one has hundreds of prefabs and I'm definitely NOT happy about that.

3. vertexx

vertexx

I'm a REAL Unity noob so please be kind.
    I use 2017 and 2018 and 2019.2. I'm pretty confident with these versions.
    My question is...Why should I "upgrade" from, say, 2019.XX to 2019.XXXX or etc etc.
    What are the benefits and what improvements would help me in the changover? Are the benefits worth the tears?
    Seems to me..a NOOB.. that there must be huge and even massive improvements to make folk change versions?
    Or is it that these newer versions are mainly of benefit for professional users mostly?
    Or is it to keep up with the Asset Store releases?
    What should I expect, except for teeth gnashing, by going up a version and are these improvements well worth the pain and the outcomes?

4. Menion-Leah

Menion-Leah

This sounds way more wise than noob, imo.

In my experience, truth is I'm constantly forced to move to 2019.4.YYY to fix serious bugs they introduced in 2019.4.XXX, and so on.

5. vertexx

vertexx

Sorry to be off topic..if it is..but...
    I know that Windows is not the most loved software....but I'm so pleased that Windows upgrades etc do not require the excess fiddling and changing, heartaches and disasters that we have to go through with most Unity updates!
    I guess (as a noob) that the technology in Unity is not up to that standard yet? Be SO good if it was? Yes!

Menion-Leah likes this.
  6. nbg_yalta

nbg_yalta

I'm not sure about issue described here, but my problem is lose of assigned objects (which are not part of prefab), on already instantiated prefabs in scene, its just happens sometimes after I made changes in prefab mode (select prefab in scene -> Open button in inspector)... Very annoying, especially when there are lots of things...

7. chriscode

chriscode

Just went from 2019.4.17f1 to 2019.4.24f1, and all references in prefabs lost. Great.

rakibs likes this.
  8. rakibs

rakibs

Having the exact issue when upgrading to my project from 2019.4.17f1 to 2019.4.24f1, for now I am staying at 17f1.

9. vertexx

vertexx

Still be interested in what advantages would be apparent if updating to say from versions 2019.4.17f1 to 2019.4.24f1?
    And then heading out to versions 2020/2021. Are these versions "better" at graphics or scripting or prefab construction or what? The advantages certainly do not seem to include ease of use or reliability. What should one be looking for when deciding to update...and what did he posters here expect?

10. gazbushell

gazbushell

2020.3.3 through to 2020.3.5 prefab references still randomly going missing. Solvable by reimporting all the prefabs which is fine if they are all in one folder with nothing else, but makes it very difficult to diagnose issues when things are going wrong because of prefabs losing their references.

11. GCCooper

GCCooper

Still getting this with 2020.3.5f1, I haven't tried 2020.3.6 but I'm not optimistic as the patch notes didn't indicate any improvements. This is slowing down our development.

12. LeekAndRibs

LeekAndRibs

Got the same problem when trying to update from "2020.3.3f1" to "2020.3.8f1". All references in the prefabs are lost. I hope with each new version that this problem is resolved in order to bring our bigger project up to date :/

13. Menion-Leah

Menion-Leah

14. LeekAndRibs

LeekAndRibs

Hi @Menion-Leah,

thanks for the information. Unfortunately, I don't like that at all because our assets are all up to date. It's great when everything is simply dismissed with the fact that Unity cannot help.

15. Menion-Leah

Menion-Leah

Yeah, same applies to me.
    4 projects total, 4 projects broken during upgrade (not downgrade).

But I totally lost any faith in their Issue Tracking system: too clumsy, too slow, requires too much effort to create a repro and having it considered by devs is like winning a lottery, no chance to ever being notified about any update on the issue (even if you submitted it), no chance to get developers involved in cases like this one.

LeekAndRibs likes this.
  16. Then submit one of those. As the resolution comment says:

17. Menion-Leah

Menion-Leah

The answer to your reply is already in the second part of my previous post.

18. I'm pretty sure writing on community forums has lower success rate, but you do you.

19. Menion-Leah

Menion-Leah

From my personal experience, I've got waay higher chances to get the post noticed by Unity staff by posting here instead of going through the entire issue reporting system.

And it requires about 1/100th of the effort.

I don't have so much expectancy in neither of them, though... But at least here more people have a chance to share further info and workarounds.

LeekAndRibs likes this.
  20. LeekAndRibs

LeekAndRibs

same!

Menion-Leah likes this.
  21. tatoforever

tatoforever

After Upgrading from 2019.4.16 to 2019.4.28 all references in our project where lost, references in prefabs and references in scenes. All gone. This is troublesome humongous bug. Not just that, Unity re-imported the whole project when upgrading from .16 to .28. This is a minor update, why the need to re-import the whole project? This whole re-import thing probably is the culprit of this project breaking bug.

22. Mads-Nyholm

Mads-Nyholm

Unity Technologies

A fix is being reviewed for 2019.4. We will get back when we know what version it will land in.
    The workaround for now is to delete the library folder and reimport project but if attached to a cacheserver the issue might reappear. Apologies for the pain.

tatoforever and Menion-Leah like this.
  23. tatoforever

tatoforever

I did that and it worked out. I'm not using the cache server as it gives us more problems than solutions.

24. Unityraptor81

Unityraptor81

Same issue for me. Did you get all your reference back while deleting & reimporting ? Reimport is taking 1 day for me as my projetc is huge

25. bac9-flcl

bac9-flcl

Any news on the fix? We wanted to delay update from 2019.4.15 until this was patched but I might have missed something related in the changelogs.

Menion-Leah likes this.
  26. SteenLund

SteenLund

Unity Technologies

A fix landed in 2019.4.29, hopefully this will work for you

bac9-flcl likes this.
  27. GCCooper

GCCooper

Is there a fix in any of the 2020.3.x versions?

28. SteenLund

SteenLund

Unity Technologies

GCCooper likes this.
  29. GCCooper

GCCooper

The issue appears to be resolved when I tested 2020.3.18f, thanks!

SteenLund likes this.