Search Unity

Prefabs breaking when upgrading Unity from 2018.3 to 2019.4

Discussion in 'Prefabs' started by Primoz56, Nov 11, 2020.

1. Primoz56

Primoz56

Hi guys,

So i've recently upgraded my project from 2018.3 to 2019.4 (had to because of Android API issues), and i'm finding the prefabs are broken. If I load the prefab, Unity crashes every time. If I re-export the prefab, it doesn't show any graphics - see attachment, the sprites are all there, they should be rendering fine but they don't.

Anyone have any idea what I can do?

Thanks,
    Primoz

upload_2020-11-12_10-44-35.png

2. SteenLund

SteenLund

Unity Technologies

@Primoz56

That does not sounds good, projects should upgrade without any issues. Can you share the project, preferably the 2018 version, so I can try to upgrade?

3. Primoz56

Primoz56

How would I share the project? It's a finished/production project so not exactly keen to post full source code.

Also as a side note, upgrading to different versions of Unity has different issues. I know version 2019 make the animator go wonky, and 2020 makes custom non-animator animations run at lightning speed. I always backup a copy of my project before letting Unity run it's upgrade on it.

Additionally i believe my config/manifest files may be corrupt due to another issue i'm experiencing with Unity not recognizing android API 29 even though a fresh project in same version of Unity does see it. Am happy to try deleting/resetting those if you're able to tell me how to safely do so. (Might help)

4. SteenLund

SteenLund

Unity Technologies

Depending on the size of the project you can file a bug report and attach the project or you can upload to an ftp and private message me where to get or get in touch with support and they can help you upload the project to our ftp, but I don't know if we still provide that service

5. Primoz56

Primoz56

I managed to solve it. Turns out the NDK was either too old or too new. By editing the projectsettings file, setting targetsdkversion to 30 (while project is open), and trying to build, Unity would then realise that it can't use NDK version 19 because its too new, and it only supports NDK 16b (which it provided a link to download at). The older version of NDK i was using was v11 and too old.