Search Unity

PrefabManagerPro (Prefab Libraries, Prefab Tags, Tag Presets, Favourites and much more!)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by XGT08, Aug 2, 2018.

1. XGT08

XGT08

Hi everyone,

I would like to announce the release of PrefabManagerPro, a Unity Editor Extension which will greatly improve your workflow when working with prefabs.

This is the official support forum for the plugin.

Take some time to watch the video tutorials:

Prefabs & Prefab Libraries:

Prefab Tags & Tag Presets:

All the best,
    Andrew

Mark_01 likes this.
  2. Mark_01

Mark_01

Hi Andrew :)

PrefabManagerPro looks great!

I am curious if there would be some kind of way or ability, that you can use PrefabManagerPro to sort tho all the prefabs,
    and then have some way to export the prefabs to Octave3d ? ;)

XGT08 likes this.
  3. XGT08

XGT08

Hi Mark!

Glad you like how the plugin looks!

Regarding integration with Octave3D, there isn't any at the moment. But it works with ProSurfaceSnap. Octave3D uses its own prefab management system which is different than the one in PrefabManagerPro. However, PrefabManagerPro will be a part of Octave3D some time in the future :)

Cheers,
    Andrew

Mark_01 likes this.
  4. slimshader

slimshader

Hey, just bought PrefabMangerPro but when I go to Tools > PMP > Prefabs > Prefab Management.. I get empty window and stream of errors:

Code (CSharp):
    1. NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    2. LDP.PrefabManagerPro.get_NumInstances () (at Assets/PrefabManagerPro/Scripts/Plugin/PrefabManagerPro.cs:134)
    3. LDP.LDPEditorWindow.Update () (at Assets/PrefabManagerPro/Scripts/API/UI/LDPEditorWindow.cs:54)
    4. System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Reflection.BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at <f2e6809acb14476a81f399aeb800f8f2>:0)
    5. Rethrow as TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
    6. System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Reflection.BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at <f2e6809acb14476a81f399aeb800f8f2>:0)
    7. System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) (at <f2e6809acb14476a81f399aeb800f8f2>:0)
    8. UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName, System.Object obj) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:295)
    9. UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:288)
    10. UnityEditor.HostView.SendUpdate () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:367)
    11. UnityEditor.EditorApplication.Internal_CallUpdateFunctions () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/EditorApplication.cs:191)

5. XGT08

XGT08

Hi there,

WOW. That's weird. Can you tell me if there is anything special you did? When did the errors start appearing?

Also can you tell me the version of Unity you are using?

6. slimshader

slimshader

nothing special, just imported it to a small project. unity 2018.2.6, .net 4.x mode, incremental compiler package

7. XGT08

XGT08

Just tested in 2018.2.0 since that is the only 2018 version I have currently installed. I set .net mode to 4.x and it works with no problem. You kind of lost me at Incremental compiler package. Where do I set that?

I will install 2018.2.6 but until then, I have to ask if it is possible to test with a different Unity (earlier 2018 or maybe 2017) version and see if the problem still persists. That way I will know if it's something specific to latest Unity versions.

8. XGT08

XGT08

@slimshader
    I just installed Unity 2018.2.6 and it works with no problem.
    PMP.png
    I was able to initialize the plugin, open up all 3 windows, create a library and add 2 prefabs to it. Not a comprehensive test, but I am pretty sure it works.

Can you try to maybe just reimport the pack and try again?

9. slimshader

slimshader

Must be incremental compiler package then. Go to Window > Package Manger then go to "All" tab and search for IncrementalCompiler and hit "Install" (that is the new Roslyn compiler that will be used in Unity 2018.3) but can be tested already via official package.

Anyway, after watching videos on PMP I don't think this asset is what I was looking for :/

10. XGT08

XGT08

Will try that, although it sounds like it is still an experimental thing.

Well, hard to understand why you purchased in the first place then :) If you wish you can send me the invoice number and I will arrange for a refund. Maybe try looking at the videos before you purchase next time?

Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
  11. slimshader

slimshader

Thanks, appreciate it, invoice number DMed.

12. XGT08

XGT08

@slimshader

I have contacted Unity about the refund. As far as I am aware it usually takes about 10 days for the refund to be processed.

slimshader likes this.
  13. waverz

waverz

Hi,
    What is the difference between Octave3D-Level Design and Runtime Level Design ??
    they are both needs level design elements to build a level, I have models and prefabs and I need a tool to build room level out of them but don't know which one is best?

14. XGT08

XGT08

Hi there,

Octave3D runs inside the Unity Editor and contains a lot more features than RLD. RLD on the other hand runs at runtime (in-game) which means that you can use it to build level editors, modding tools for your games etc.

So:
    • if you want to design levels inside the Unity Editor, Octave3D is the way to go;
    • if you need to build a runtime level editor or a modding tool for your game, then RLD is what you need.
    Hope this helps, but please let me know if you need more info.

Mark_01 likes this.
  15. waverz

waverz

I always like Octave3D but now I understand the difference, so RLD is used to build a level design in-game in real time (interesting). Is there any real example for a game used RLD because I might also need it for a VR game!

Thank you for the quick reply!

16. XGT08

XGT08

You can try the demo linked in the pack description. However, regarding VR, you will need to derive the InputBase class and implement support for VR yourself:

The following methods need to be implemented:

Code (CSharp):
    2.         public abstract Vector3 GetFrameDelta();
    3.         public abstract Ray GetRay(Camera camera);
    4.         public abstract Vector3 GetPositionYAxisUp();
    5.         public abstract bool HasPointer();
    6.         public abstract bool IsButtonPressed(int buttonIndex);
    7.         public abstract bool WasButtonPressedInCurrentFrame(int buttonIndex);
    8.         public abstract bool WasButtonReleasedInCurrentFrame(int buttonIndex);
    9.         public abstract bool WasMoved();
    11.         protected abstract void UpateFrameDeltas();
    After you do this, there is one additional step, but that one is really simple.

waverz likes this.
  17. lundon

lundon

Is there a way to copy the library I have created on one scene into another scene? I tried making PrefabManagerPro itself into a prefab and putting it into the second scene, but that didn't seem to work.

18. XGT08

XGT08

Hi there,

That is not possible, but in the next update you will be able to save the entire prefab configuration (libs + prefabs + tags) into an asset and then load that in a different scene. So you can have as many configs as you wish and you can then switch between them as needed.

19. lundon

lundon

Great. Have you got an ETA for the update?:D

XGT08 likes this.
  20. XGT08

XGT08

I can't say exactly when it will be available :) But as soon as the implementation is ready, I will send you a PM with the link to the new pack. What I can say is that it should not take too long.

21. lundon

lundon

Great. Should I hold off creating my "perfect" database until after the update or will existing ones convert automatically?

22. XGT08

XGT08

To be honest, I would suggest that you hold off :) I can not make any guarantees that existing that will be preserved.

23. lundon

lundon

Thanks. Will do

24. XGT08

XGT08

@lundon

Hi there :) I've sent you a PM with the updated pack.

Cheers,
    Andrew

25. XGT08

XGT08

@lundon

I recommend that you delete the previous version completely before importing the new one.

26. lundon

lundon

Thanks, again

27. Duffer123

Duffer123

@XGT08 ,

Is this asset included in Octave3D?

28. XGT08

XGT08

EDIT: NO. It is not. Initially I thought you were talking about another plugin.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2018
    Duffer123 likes this.
  29. Duffer123

Duffer123

Thx. Does this Asset work with Sprites?

30. XGT08

XGT08

Yes. Both Octave3D and PrefabManagerPro work with sprites.

Duffer123 likes this.
  31. io-games

io-games

Thanks you for asset

Feaute requests:
    - hierarchy (or indent for groups)
    - drag and drop to scene
    - replace on scene with another prefab
    - fix - something trigger to reimport lib after exit from playmode

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
  32. ch1ky3n

ch1ky3n

Hey, I installed your asset Prefab pro Manager, and I got two errors. It's not breaking, but it is quite annoying that it constantly pops out whenever I enter play mode.

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    UnityEditor.GameObjectInspector.ClearPreviewCache () (at <507f517ae7864f439b730eed1dbf6793>:0)
    UnityEditor.GameObjectInspector.ReloadPreviewInstances () (at <507f517ae7864f439b730eed1dbf6793>:0)
    UnityEditor.GameObjectInspector.OnForceReloadInspector () (at <507f517ae7864f439b730eed1dbf6793>:0)
    UnityEditor.AssetDatabase:Refresh()
    LDP.LDPConfigFolders:CreateAllFoldersIfNecessary() (at Assets/UI/PrefabManagerPro/Scripts/API/Configs/LDPConfigFolders.cs:43)

and

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    UnityEditor.GameObjectInspector.ClearPreviewCache () (at <507f517ae7864f439b730eed1dbf6793>:0)
    UnityEditor.GameObjectInspector.ReloadPreviewInstances () (at <507f517ae7864f439b730eed1dbf6793>:0)
    UnityEditor.GameObjectInspector.OnForceReloadInspector () (at <507f517ae7864f439b730eed1dbf6793>:0)
    UnityEditor.AssetDatabase:Refresh()
    LDP.GlobalDataFolders:CreateAllFoldersIfNecessary() (at Assets/UI/PrefabManagerPro/Scripts/API/Global Data/GlobalDataFolders.cs:31)

33. XGT08

XGT08

Hi there,

I appologize for the late reply. Thank you for telling me about this. I will look into it and get back to you as soon as I have a solution to the issue.

Cheers,
    Andrew

34. XGT08

XGT08

Hello,

I have managed to fix the issue. Please send me an e-mail at octamodius@yahoo.com and I will send you the updated package.

Cheers,
    Andrew