Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Prefab Tiles - Why?!

Discussion in '2D Experimental Preview' started by luispedrofonseca, Feb 1, 2019.

1. luispedrofonseca

luispedrofonseca

Hi, first of all excuse me for my rant, but after a day of trying to figure this out I'm a bit tired.

How can such a basic feature for ANY tilemap system, not be present?

From my research, the only (viable) way to place prefabs using the Tilemap system is by creating a custom brush for every prefab. This is far from convenient because:

1) You'll end up with a HUGE list of brushes to choose from the dropdown. Not to mention that every time the code recompiles, the first brush is selected again.
    2) You have no preview of the prefab that you're going to place until you actually do.
    3) It's such a cumbersome workflow that I really can't understand how this wasn't a priority.

There's an alternative method that requires you to place the editor of a regular Tile in debug mode and assign a prefab to the GameObject property (why is this hidden??!). But that's not good either, because that will still render the sprite beneath and you won't be able to choose the prefab on the hierarchy.

To add to the rant, having your code, demos, extras, tutorials, etc, etc, spread across multiple sources is such a pain. Why isn't this on the Package Manager?

Please tell me there's a better way.

NotaNaN, kayroice, TheValar and 2 others like this.