Search Unity

1. Unity 2019.1 beta is now available.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Unity Pro & Visual Studio Professional Bundle gives you the tools you need to develop faster & collaborate more efficiently. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We're looking for insight from anyone who has experience with game testing to help us better Unity. Take our survey here. If chosen to participate you'll be entered into a sweepstake to win an Amazon gift card.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. On February 28th the Feedback website will shut down and be redirected to the Unity forums. See the full post for more information.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Want to provide direct feedback to the Unity team? Join the Unity Advisory Panel.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Unity 2018.3 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Improve your Unity skills with a certified instructor in a private, interactive classroom. Watch the overview now.
    Dismiss Notice

Tile Map Prefab Tiles - Why?!

Discussion in '2D Experimental Preview' started by luispedrofonseca, Feb 1, 2019.

1. luispedrofonseca

luispedrofonseca

Hi, first of all excuse me for my rant, but after a day of trying to figure this out I'm a bit tired.

How can such a basic feature for ANY tilemap system, not be present?

From my research, the only (viable) way to place prefabs using the Tilemap system is by creating a custom brush for every prefab. This is far from convenient because:

1) You'll end up with a HUGE list of brushes to choose from the dropdown. Not to mention that every time the code recompiles, the first brush is selected again.
    2) You have no preview of the prefab that you're going to place until you actually do.
    3) It's such a cumbersome workflow that I really can't understand how this wasn't a priority.

There's an alternative method that requires you to place the editor of a regular Tile in debug mode and assign a prefab to the GameObject property (why is this hidden??!). But that's not good either, because that will still render the sprite beneath and you won't be able to choose the prefab on the hierarchy.

To add to the rant, having your code, demos, extras, tutorials, etc, etc, spread across multiple sources is such a pain. Why isn't this on the Package Manager?

Please tell me there's a better way.

zyzyx and tiltfox like this.