Search Unity

Prefab related bugs and crashes on upgrading project in 2018.3

Discussion in 'Prefabs' started by douglassophies, Sep 12, 2018.

1. douglassophies

douglassophies

I get a load of errors saying:
    PPtr cast failed when dereferencing! Casting from PrefabInstance to Prefab!
    If i take something like my camera object and pull it into the project folder it crashes Unity.
    If i delete all the then greyed out components with (Removed) on them and little circle icons with a dash, then it does not crash but gives the below error:
    Asset import did not unload metadata path. This will leak memory. File a bug with repro steps please. (Assets/Visuals/Camera/Main Camera.prefab)

More info:
    1. I can open another small Android project no problem.
    2. I opened this project on another computer and had the same issue.
    3. I see there are others commenting about the "PPtr cast failed when dereferencing". I assume my other issues are related.

Attached Files:

2. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Thanks for reporting this issue. We have a fix in flight.
    In the meantime, you can try to re-import your models as a temporary work around.

summerian likes this.
  3. douglassophies

douglassophies

Thanks for the reply. Depending how long it is before the fix, i might just wait. Can you give a rough estimate - are we talking days, weeks or months? I wont hold you to it! ;)

4. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

My estimate would be b3 at the earliest. So roughly 2 weeks. But yeah, don't hold me to it ;).

5. douglassophies

douglassophies

6. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

7. summerian

summerian

Thanks that worked perfectly. Definitely faster than waiting for the fix :)

8. douglassophies

douglassophies

This half worked for me. It got rid of all the ref issues but i still cannot make a prefab of my camera without getting the errors in the screenshot attached (AssetImporter is referencing an asset from the previous import. This should not happen.) This was the same issue i had before.
    I deleted it, and added again which has made the errors disappear. Not sure if i will still have an issue or not though.

Attached Files:

9. douglassophies

douglassophies

I am was playing around and now i get this: "Disconnecting is no longer implemented"

10. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

A bug report with a minimal reproduction project would be very useful here. Could you please submit one and reference the issue ID in here?

11. douglassophies

douglassophies

Case: 1081152.
    Finding this hard to explain but tldr; It was taking ages to strip the project without causing other issues that masked the actual error so apologies for the size. The Hierarchy is simple though with just the one object.

LeonhardP likes this.