Search Unity

Prefab Nesting - Hold on every time a change is made

Discussion in 'Prefabs' started by OverPoweredTeam, Dec 13, 2019.

1. OverPoweredTeam

OverPoweredTeam

Hello!

Me and my team are making a game where we need to spawn multiple rooms, to create a dungeon. Those rooms, are created previously in the editor. We have a set of tiles for walls and floors, and we Instantiate them using PrefabUtility.InstantiatePrefab(prefab) as GameObject.

The thing is, when we save those rooms as prefabs, after having 2 or 3 saved, the Editor starts opening the "Hold on..." window everytime we change and save anything, taking like a second for every room prefab.

As we plan to have a lot of rooms, so the dungeon has more variety, this is a huge problem, because if we end having 60 rooms, waiting 1 min for a minimum change is horrible.

We do know that the error comes from the prefab nesting, because if we Instantiate them with the GameObject function, that doesn't happen. But if we do so, any change we would have to do in something like a tile, would mean to repeat every room that contains that tile.

Do you know how to solve this?

Thanks!

2. Albertomelladoc

Albertomelladoc

3. SteenLund

SteenLund

Unity Technologies

Please file a bug report and attach a project that reproduces the issue.

Simply saving scene with nested prefabs should not have this impact on performance, so you are probably doing something to the prefabs somewhere. Maybe try to have a look in the Profiler to get an idea of what is going on.

4. Inxentas

Inxentas

This MIGHT not be a bug. I had the same issue untill I disabled automatic lighting. Perhaps yours in on and your scene is constantly adapting lighting to newly introduced meshes in said Prefabs. Turn automatic lighting off if you're working with lots of objects that cast or recieve shadows, this helped me a bunch developing on a casual laptop.

5. OverPoweredTeam

OverPoweredTeam

The bug was the one I said. We solved it by instantiating the prefabs as normal GameObjects, and changed the way the rooms were created, so they are now read from a spreadsheet.