Search Unity

1. Unity 2019.2 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice

Prefab modifications are constantly changing serialized data order and cause version control noise

Discussion in 'Prefabs' started by Xarbrough, Aug 5, 2019.

1. Xarbrough

Xarbrough

I believe I have already seen this issue as a bug report somewhere, but cannot find it anymore. Please let me know if this is being worked on or if anyone has any ideas what to do against this:

PrefabModificationsRandomOrder.jpg

We are on Unity 2019 and at some point in the past a dozen of our prefabs have started changing every time the project is saved even though nobody has touched these assets. The values itself do not seem to change, but the order in which these modifications are saved to disk. This is causing a really big annoyance for us because we are working in a team and team members are constantly confused why these assets show up as changed and cause merge conflicts, when they shouldn't.

Unity is notorious for setting files dirty even though nothing has changed, this is a well-known problem and other software such as PlasticSCM actually patches some of this up by ignoring files which have their timestamp changed, but not their content. However, in this case with prefabs, the contents change their order which causes a lot of noise in our version control system.

Again, I believe this is a known bug, but please let me know what the status is, as I cannot find it in the issuetracker. Thank you!

2. mcarriere

mcarriere

I was just complaining about this / confirming with some other folks! We're seeing this two across multiple 2019 projects. Super annoying. We have hundreds of prefabs in our projects and this can take a long time if you want to be able to verify that no changes were made. When we see this manifest, its just taking the data we have and reordering it in the prefab, no actual changes are being made.

3. Elliott-Mitchell

Elliott-Mitchell

By chance, do you have auto-save enabled for prefabs?

4. Xarbrough

Xarbrough

No, at least not on my machine. Maybe some of our developers have it on, but the changes already happen when these specific prefabs are loaded into memory (either because a scene was openen which contains them or if they have been selected in the inspector during the editor session), and then the project is saved.

5. Xarbrough

Xarbrough

SpinningDonut.gif
    The problem is getting worse every week. We've now found cases were the affected prefabs are being reimported whenever anything changes in the project and can even become stuck in an import loop. I've reported an issue with reproduction case, but I'm still waiting for a reply. I believe it's rather difficult to reproduce for QA. The issue does not happen when one works on a single user machine, it requires at least two different users/computers to cause the serialization to randomly change. I assume it's mainly because the asset import is not deterministic and therefore, whenever one of my team mates opens their project, Unity imports the prefabs differently, but for unknown reasons this also changes the actual prefab files on disk. To reproduce this, one must setup a multi-user environment with version control. I've explained it in the bug report, so let's see what they say.

6. SteenLund

SteenLund

Unity Technologies

Asifno13, Xarbrough and mcarriere like this.
  7. Xarbrough

Xarbrough

Thanks, that's great news! :) Is there a different issue id I can track or how will we know when the fix has landed?

8. mcarriere

mcarriere

Thanks for the update @SteenLund! (I'd also love a public issue ID for this one.)

9. marcin-matczak

marcin-matczak

I confirm it happening on 2019.1.14f1 and 2018.3.6f1. It also happens in the serialized scene file in the prefab modification list. This is very annoying and slows our work down. Instead simply committing all the changes I've made I have to go through list of changes and stage chunks of real changes one by one. Please fix this.

10. SeductiveMango

SeductiveMango

Happening on 2019.1.5f1. Making it neigh impossible to work on entire prefabs since it just constantly is updating.

11. mcarriere

mcarriere

@SteenLund Any updates or versions we can be looking forward to for this fix?

12. Vince-Chimp

Vince-Chimp

I'd also be interested in a bug reference to track this. @SteenLund

13. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

14. Wikzo-DK

Wikzo-DK

Happening in 2019.2.1f1 as well :\

15. OndrejP

OndrejP

Same here, exactly same behavior, ordering of modifications changes.
    In example below it's moved 50 lines up for no particular reason.

It's big issue for us, because we use nested prefabs heavily and this change triggers reimport of all dependent prefabs, which can take minutes. Worse this happens when prefab is clicked in project, because it opens it in inspector and then it saves it right away.

Naive approach to fixing this seems like sorting modifications by property path.

upload_2019-10-21_16-45-34.png

Jes28 likes this.
  16. Mads-Nyholm

Mads-Nyholm

Unity Technologies

This issue has a been fixed for 2020.1 and backports are in progress.

17. OndrejP

OndrejP

Great news! Thank you!