Search Unity

Prefab Mode - linerenderer bug?, prefab mode scene

Discussion in 'Prefabs' started by Epsilon_Delta, Jun 30, 2018.

1. Epsilon_Delta

Epsilon_Delta

Firstly, let me thank you for nested prefabs: thank you.

Now, I don't know if it's a deliberate behaviour, but line renderer is not rendering line in a prefab mode, you must drag the prefab to the scene to see the line. Also, while playing game in the editor, if I select a prefab in folder, line gets rendered in game view.
    If this shouldn't line renderer be doing, I will report a bug tomorrow.

Also, why cannot we have an independent prefab mode window and the scene window so that I could see changes I made to prefab, immediately happening to prefab instances in the scene window?

EDIT: I forgot to mention that in prefab mode I can see empty gameobjects with special icons that are scattered across the scene (in my case - waypoints as navigation system)

Last edited: Jul 1, 2018
    Deeeds likes this.
  2. runevision

runevision

Thank you for trying it out!

Those both sound like both bugs; thanks for making us aware of it.

We can't reproduce the LineRenderer not showing up in Prefab Mode - it's showing up fine here. A bug report with repro steps / repro project would be much appreciated.

We also can't reproduce a LineRenderer Prefab Asset showing up in the Game View when selected in the Project window - whether in Play Mode or not. Here too a bug report with repro steps / repro project would be much appreciated.

This is covered in the FAQ: https://forum.unity.com/threads/faq.536647/

You can see icons in Prefab Mode for objects that are not part of the Prefab but rather are part of your regular scenes? That sounds like a bug as well. Edit: This one we can reproduce here as well.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
    Epsilon_Delta likes this.
  3. Epsilon_Delta

Epsilon_Delta

Ok so I was investigating further. With a new project created in Nested Prefab Preview version, everything is fine. Even if I create a new prefab in my current project everything works fine. However I imported my (very small) project from older version 2018.1.5f1 and this linerenderer bug appears only on imported prefabs from older version. Even if I create a new prefab and copy linerenderer component from buggy imported prefab (btw the linerenderer component was added to buggy prefab after updating to newer version) to newly created prefab (as new or values) the bug appears. If I create linerenderer component as new bug does not appear.
    I tested it on another older project of mine which was 2017.3 version and updated it to 2018.2 and again the same bug. I therefore installed 2018.1.5f1 again, but I was unable to reproduce it with only simple cube prefab or so. I do not know what went wrong, but I solved the bug with recreating the prefabs in newer version.
    I sent a bug report with corrupted prefab.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
  4. runevision

runevision

Thanks a lot, that's very helpful!