Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback Prefab Locking

Discussion in 'Prefabs' started by illinar, Sep 18, 2020.

1. illinar

illinar

I would love to have the ability to lock a prefab fully or partially to prevent it's modification in it's instances.

Each level of over 100 in my game has a prefab with objects that should never be modified, and should be the same in each level, if I could guarantee that, it would be nice.

There are ways around it, but the easiest would be to prohibit changes. I can make a script that would do it, I suppose, but I think this would be a nice built-in feature.

JesOb and TurboNuke like this.
  2. runevision

runevision

Right. See the FAQ entry "Can we get the ability to treat Prefabs as “black boxes” or "encapsulated" where by default properties can't be edited (overridden) on instances of the Prefab?"

illinar likes this.
  3. Kleptine

Kleptine

Came here to post this feedback and found this thread. I saw the demo of encapsulation in the Unity talk you all did -- really excited for this feature. One note from me:

I would definitely prefer to be able to inspect / select the children of an encapsulated prefab, rather than turning it into a black box you must enter. It's a minor point, but it would be a pretty big loss in debugability to have to keep jumping in and out of prefab mode just to see what values I had set on a sub-object.

Just my two cents!

NotaNaN and JesOb like this.
  4. MylesLambert

MylesLambert

Is this something we might ever get?

Sneirox likes this.
  5. Kleptine

Kleptine

Any updates on this?

JesOb likes this.
  6. JesOb

JesOb

Hi @LeonhardP

there already 4 years passed after initial release and almost nothing changed in this field.
    Can you please give us update on encapsulated prefab section of first release anouncement FAQ?

7. Peter_Olsted

Peter_Olsted

Unity Technologies

Hi, this is not a feature we are not currently planning to work on as there are other areas we believe has a bigger and better impact.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2022
  8. JesOb

JesOb

Sad to hear, but thanks :)

9. Kleptine

Kleptine

.. bummer. :\

10. runevision

runevision

Please keep the FAQ up to date then.

Out of curiosity, is there still a team working on Prefabs-related features? If so, what are they working on at the moment? There's nothing mentioned in the roadmap.

euden_one and JesOb like this.
  11. erispe10

erispe10

I want to lock prefabs so you can't even select the child objects, just so people don't accidentally move the models about inside the prefabs when they should be moving the prefabs themselves.

Maisey and _Prism_ like this.