Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Prefab Editor

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by StephenL, Mar 15, 2015.

1. StephenL

StephenL

Hi guys.

I am currently working on a plugin that lets me edit my prefabs in a separate window, without disrupting my current scene. I can view my changes in real time, and apply them to my prefab when done.

PrefabEditor.png

Is this something that others would find useful? Let me know what you think! :)
    Note: This works with all objects.

Cheers
    Stephen

Kona likes this.
  2. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

I don't get it, because can't you do that anyway just from the hierarchy when you select a prefab? Then hit apply from there without doing that to edit it? I guess I'm asking what does it do you can't do already? Is it so you can compare scene prefabs you've tweaked with the projects prefab?

3. Sykoo

Sykoo

If you want high quality feedback, you'd have to post more information and links if possible. Because right now, I cannot see any differences between the normal 'editor' and this.

4. StephenL

StephenL

I got the idea from this thread. This tool allows me to edit my particle effects and other prefabs without having to drag them into the scene window to preview and edit them.

I drag a prefab into the window and can make changes and preview them. If I am happy with my results, I can simply hit apply changes and it will update the original prefab or object.

This is really helpful when I have large scenes and need to make a small change to a particle effect or something without having to drag another copy of it into the scene, focus on it, tweak it and then hit apply.

5. Sykoo

Sykoo

Oh so basically what this tool does is that it lets you edit prefabs located in Projects tab without dragging them into Hierarchy. Sounds pretty cool, what will the price be looking like?

6. StephenL

StephenL

I hadn't thought that far. I would probably want to add more features to it if I were to sell it.

7. Sykoo

Sykoo

Agreed! :)
    Nice idea though, I think it can go pretty far if you give effort and time into it! It looks nice even in the current state that it is, but as you said - more features will just increase its hype!

8. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

Oh okay I get it. Not a bad idea I suppose, that can be a bit tedious drag and dropping prefabs that only get instantiated at runtime then forgetting to delete them after making changes before testing. I'm sure it could be worth a couple few bucks on the asset store.