Search Unity

Prefab editing in project view

Discussion in 'Prefabs' started by hippocoder, Sep 17, 2018.

1. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

It's a shame that one needs to click a button and hide the scene view, for a non-nested prefab in order to edit it in the project. I understand clicking a button to isolate it is welcome for nested prefabs, but for a flat prefab it seems like true overkill.

Previously I would edit it in the project and have those changes propagate out. Now I cannot do that and iterative editing with the objects showing in context in scene view is not possible.

To get around this I have to roll my own system using scriptable objects so creatives can better visualise the changes in context.

Any suggestions?

laurentlavigne, Deeeds and optimise like this.
  2. Carpe-Denius

Carpe-Denius

There are several prefab edit modi considered by unity, one of the was "editing in scene" but "not in the first release". I would give you the link to have more information, but the board search is awful..^^

If you don't change hierarchy and just add gameobjects or monobehaviours or change monobehaviours, you can still press "overrides" -> "apply all"

laurentlavigne likes this.
  3. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Yeah we'll have to look at editing them in scene and apply all, thanks!

4. runevision

runevision

Correct, FAQ here for reference (not that it has much more information regarding this specific thing): https://forum.unity.com/threads/faq.536647/

5. Deeeds

Deeeds

As a creative not quite capable of rolling my own Scriptable Object solution to this problem, I second, third and fourth this need! Please!!!

6. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

"These changes mean that Prefabs are technically imported assets, and this in turn means that they can’t be edited directly." Imported assets can be edited directly in the inspector, they just get reimported automatically when you're exit the selections inspector.
    So why can't prefabs do the same?

7. Deeeds

Deeeds

How many objects can be in a flat prefab? I mean... and this might seem like a super stupid question, can a prefab be the parent to its contents, and that be more than one object?