Search Unity

Precomputed GI dissapears when I enter play mode.

Discussion in 'Global Illumination' started by wadewt, Nov 23, 2016.

1. wadewt

wadewt

Hello GI Forum,

So I'm making a scene at the moment, it's a cave, there's some holes in the roof for sun to come in. I am using precomputed realtime GI. Whenever I finish a bake I can look at it in the editor in scene view and it looks nice. Whenever I go to test it and hit play, my GI is immediately gone. Upon returning to the editor it has dissapeared and if I have "auto" ticked for the building it will just start calculating it over again.

Does anyhow know what's up or how I could fix it? It had been working fine for some time but now it's just stopped working. Even the light probe information is lost.

Not sure if the following makes a difference but I figured I'd include it: This is for VR and I'm using a vive when I hit play, The cave is also made of many fairly high resolution meshes. I'm not sure this is a problem, though, as I haven't had any performance issues and the precompute finishes without a problem, it just dissapears when I hit play. My realtime resolution is set to 2.

If there's any information I've missed lemme know.

Thanks,

2. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Untick auto and press build.

3. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Also since this question has popped up quite a few times, I think maybe auto is doing more harm than good. Maybe the functionality needs a bit of redesign for how it's presented.

4. wadewt

wadewt

Unity is behaving again, but I'm not sure this was a problem with auto. Typically when I have auto enabled I can enter and exit play mode without any problems. This time when I entered play mode my bake would just disappear as though it never existed. I did a few things while trying to make it behave. I baked once more, and then set my gi cache to be read only and when I entered play mode it remained. I was messing around with a few things at the time also so I'm not sure if that's what made it behave or not, afterwards I turned off read only and now the automatic baking is working again: I can go into and out of play mode without losing the precompute.