Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Pre-rendering part of an EditorWindow's GUI, storing as texture

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hedgehog90, Jan 14, 2018.

1. hedgehog90

hedgehog90

Due to the complicated issue of clipping and manipulating GUI.matrix, I want to pre-render some elements of my GUI for the purposes of ease (some 90° rotated Labels within a ScrollView).
    Preferably, I'd like to render them before the first repaint of the GUI in question, and draw them as textures.
    Currently, I'm trying something similar to what's demonstrated here: http://angryant.com/2013/07/17/OnRenderTextureGUI/
    Simply switching RenderTexture.active to a new RenderTexture on the first repaint, and then back to the original.
    But the only way I've got this to work is by using the EditorWindow's layout + repaint OnGUI calls, which usually causes a brief flicker of the rendered image to be display in the EditorWindow.
    How can I render said GUI elements (or anything else for that matter) in a separate context, preferably synchronously? I have no need for layout gui calls either, if that helps.

It might be a bit of an odd request considering the problem at hand, but I'm sure it'll come in useful further down the line, even if it isn't appropriate in this instance.