Search Unity

Practice with contributing to this project and dummy "first task" idea.

Discussion in 'Open Projects' started by GregoryFenn, Oct 2, 2020.

1. GregoryFenn

GregoryFenn

Pull Request for "credits"

As an idea for getting people used to the Git/github fork-clone-pull-push-merge process, I propose that there is a dummy .txt file in the Assets folder that lists all of our usernames/github profiles such that
    - we may append ourselves to it in our local fork
    - we may then push it up to our public repo
    - we may then request it to be merged

Obviously later we can go through the list and remove people who didn't do anything, order them by contribution etc, but I think this would be a good way to let people test out the git system and feel comfortable using it.

Edit: or we could add jokes to this .txt file!

2. cirocontinisio

cirocontinisio

Hey Gregory, thanks for the idea, but it sounds a bit impractical :) It would push many people to just open a PR to put themselves in the credits.
    Instead, what we're doing is that we're keeping track of people who make successful PRs, code review, and enter valid issues. We will also track meaningful contributions on the forums.
    For the contributions involving git, it's going to be easy to validate those with a tool later on.

I also want to say that the list won't be revealed until later because we don't want to make it a competition to get in :)

I think this is a more solid way of building a credit list and then we don't have to remove anyone.