Search Unity

Powerful, Low Draw Call Volume Light Light Effect Solutions (New low price!)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by BHS, Oct 2, 2010.

1. BHS

BHS

New Light Effects Pack Released on the Asset Store! To check it out go here:

Ultimate HD Light Effects Pack

New even lower price only $10!

Updated!
    The Light Effect Pack is now available on the Asset Store and still only $10!

Here: Light Effect Pack

70+ Sales! Great effect pack with 9, 5 star ratings to prove just how awesome it is!

Light Effect Texture Pack Now Available

I've seen how heavy camera and light effects can be such as sun shafts, volume light, and other light effects. That's why I've created a Unity light effect package to take the place of computer heavy effects.

All I used in example 2 were my light textures, you can use them for anything. The car model had 100,000 polys and I can still achieve great fps because you use the performance where it's needed and not waisted on heavy camera and light effects.

The possibilities to what you can do with these light effects are endless!

You get 36 light effect textures for only $10 and it comes with the billboarding script!

To buy go here:
    http://www.the3dstudio.com/product_...r=373096&ipst=0&sort=rank&id_affiliate=373096

To try the example here:

Light Shafts and Dungeon Effects:
    Webplayer Example 1: http://ikanimation.webs.com/LightRayDemo/Updated/WebPlayer.html

Car Headlights and Streetlights
    Webplayer example 2: http://ikanimation.webs.com/LightRayDemo/Example%202/BrighterLights/WebPlayer.html

Features:
    • The light effect package comes with 7 light casting effects and 29 outer light glare effects!
    • Each of the light effects takes 1 to 5 draw calls and that's it! You can make your scene look great without wasting performance.
    • The effects have a script that billboards them so it automatically turns to the players position to give a great looking effect with no cost to performance. You can use this script to billboard anything you want for even more customization.
    • Comes with 2 full scenes (Ones shown below car and dungeon) so you can see the light cast in action and the outer light effect in action also. (Both examples above are included!)
    • Done through the security of the trusted The3dstudio.com website.
    • Can even be used for iphone or other low draw call needed devices.

More screenshots on the link to the product.

The light effect package is only $10. Everything is already set up you can just add the Unity package to your scene.

Comments or suggestions would be appreciated

Screenshots:

$LightEffectExample2a.jpg
    $LightEffectPackageExample 2.jpg
    New Fading Texture:
    $FadingLightShaftsExamples.jpg
    Bright Effect Example:
    $BrightEffectExample.jpg
    Or Solid Light Beam:
    $LightRays2.jpg

Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
  2. BHS

BHS

Product Reviews My 5 Stars:

Updated:
    8, 5 star ratings! see:

$more 5 stars.jpg

My other product's ratings:
    $more 5 stars 2.jpg

More Outer Glow Effect Example:

$P2 - Copy.jpg

Last edited: Mar 6, 2011
  3. liverolA

liverolA

nice,expensive though

4. BHS

BHS

Lowered the price by $15!
    This should be priced within everyone's price range.

5. MyraLoveless

MyraLoveless

Does it automatically generate the textures used by the billboards? I could see paying for that, but if I have to make my own billboard textures by hand in order to use it, I end up being left wondering why I need this at all.

6. BHS

BHS

Yes, I have several prefabed objects made for you in the example projects. All you have to do is swap the light texture and it automatically billboards it. The billboard effect is a script so all you have to do is apply the script to what ever effect you want billboarded and it does it for you. You don't need your own billboard textures it's done automatically, you can use whatever texture you want. It's very simple and easy to use.

Do you have anymore questions?

Last edited: Oct 2, 2010
  7. forestjohnson

forestjohnson

Honestly I don't see anything here that isn't practically built into unity already. I could see this being a product if it had all kinds of fades for the lightshafts based on angle, lod feature, and gui controls, plus a nice library of flares and light shaft textures. But its just a lookat script really. Theres a lookat script in the docs, why not just use that one.

8. TwiiK

TwiiK

I'm not entirely sure what you're selling either.

From the look of the webplayer and the product itself it looks like just some gradients and a billboard script. If I walk under one of the lights and look up they either rotate sporadically, get cut off or disappear completely. What is the volume part of this package?

And isn't your outer glow effect the same as "draw halo" already in Unity?

9. BHS

BHS

Twiik and forestjohnson, there are no other scripts or projects out there that can do this. Trust me I spent a good hour or so looking through the forums and google.

As for the "cut off" Twiik even in a game such as Oblivion they use this exact same effect. Of course if you look straight up at it you'll see the cut off, the same thing happens in Oblivion. Also this is completely different than the "draw halo" effect. The draw halo looks like crap and is unproportionate to whatever you set it to. It gets bigger as you get far away and just doesn't look as good as my effects do.

forestjohnson I have a nice library of 33 flares, glares, and light shaft textures that are included in this pack. There is no script in the docs I've looked through everything. Plus I have all the textures already made instead of having to go out and buy all of them. Check prices on other sites, light effects like these are usually around $5 each. It may not be the most complex Unity package, but it's simple and it works, that's why I'm only asking $15 for it.

So for you guys to ask what I'm trying to sell is somewhat of an insult. There's nothing like this out there that's why I created this effect package. I'm just trying to help people out there who are in the same boat as me; no pro version and looking for a nice substitute for the pro camera effects.

I appreciate your guy's feedback, but this is definitely a product.

Oblivions light shafts, same problem:
    $Oblivion Light Effect 2.jpg
    $Oblivion Light Effect 1.jpg

Last edited: Oct 3, 2010
  10. oblivionfeet

oblivionfeet

There used to be/perhaps still is, a script on the wiki which made a flat polygon always face the camera on the Y axis. And the appearance of a light beam is largely dependent on what is creating the effect.

I'm sorry but I'm with Twiik and forest on this one. $15 for what is essentially available for free and apparently also included in the docs, and a few textures that anyone could draw, is a bit much. Perhaps if you'd used various cones, and customizable textures, and animation settings (spinning fan beams) and corresponding projector/cookie images to fake complex shadowing and other tricks and techniques it would warrant a price tag.

Sorry.

11. BHS

BHS

I'd like to see this link...

You can pick apart any Unity Package and eventually find something similar for free, but there are no textures out there that are free. They all cost and they're NOT easy to just draw up. The billboard effect is not the main product, it's the 33 light textures, light shafts, flares, and glares that I'm selling. I'm sorry, but you people obviously know nothing about textures and light effects..at least high quality ones like these.

12. oblivionfeet

oblivionfeet

LMAO! oh oh oh, now you've done it. I was trying to be nice but really your attitude, you're clearly trying to rip people off with something they can get for free. I just looked at the images, $5 for what is essentially the same gaussian blur filled circle recolored a few times? Are you kidding me? High quality? Really? What makes them high quality exactly? Since I'm such a noob with textures please explain that to me.. lol

Oh here's the link to the free script http://www.unifycommunity.com/wiki/index.php?title=LookAtCameraYonly

BTW no free textures? See now you're just lying. http://www.cgtextures.com/ hey look, free textures, THOUSANDS of free textures, and that's just one site.

Buyer beware.

13. BHS

BHS

Okay......the script doesn't work and they still don't have any light textures. LMFAO and are you serious cgtextures.com I've been using that for years they don't have any light textures hahaha man everyone here is ignorant and thinks they know everything. I can't post one thing without out being corrected and criticized at every corner.

See your the one that looks like a smart ass because I've done nothing wrong, but get crap talked about my product. I didn't ask everyone to voice their opinions...

14. Andrew_atl

Andrew_atl

I don't want to be mean, but this is not something you should be charging money for.

15. BHS

BHS

@ oblivionfeet I tried the link to your script and it absolutely does not work. Screenshot to prove it.

See :]

I'm not trying to be a jerk okay, I have my Unity Package and as far as I know it's the only one out there (at least that works...) So lets get back to being professional...

16. Geenz

Geenz

I beg to differ.

The script rotates the object so that it's local Z is always facing the camera, meaning you cannot resize the object on it's local X axis.

17. BHS

BHS

Okay even if you got it to work that means you can't adjust the size. With my script you can adjust the size and it rotates it smoothly and in the same position. Your texture seems to be moving while it rotates thus ruining the illusion that light light ray has a 360 degree texture.

18. Nikolay116

Nikolay116

common people, let the guy do whatever he wants. If you want start the witch hunt, maybe you should start with tornado twins, who are in fact selling lots of rubish like FPS controller.

19. BHS

BHS

Yes Nikolay116 I agree

That's what the Tornado Twins do they sell a bunch of stuff that was either free or just modified stuff of what's out there and no one says anything to them. I knew of them way before they were even known and they started off like me.

All I was trying to do was start making my own Unity packages, but I've been criticized left and right.

What's even more bothersome is that people keep saying that there's free stuff like this out there when they have not yet even proven it.

This is a unique Unity Package that can really make games look good, why is everyone causing problems..If you don't like my product keep it to yourself don't try to make me look bad by posting stuff on my product forum page.

20. Geenz

Geenz

It rotates only along it's Y axis, just as yours does. You can resize it however you please so long it's not flattened on it's X axis.

It's been proven, you'd just rather try to rationalize charging $15.00 for what people perceive to be script functionality. Now if you were primarily advertising the included textures instead, I doubt people would be trying to criticize you for a script, and instead consider the textures as the biggest selling point, and thus negating any negative attention due to the script it's self.

21. BHS

BHS

The main product is the textures I don't get why people keep saying I'm trying to sell the script. That's just a bonus so they have a functioning effect.

The first main part of my product's features are the textures, then the draw call amounts, and then the billboard effect. How could anyone say that the main product is the script??

I'm selling literally $60 worth of light effect textures for $10 and people keep complaining. You can't find free light effect textures and if you buy them they're like $5 a piece. So what is the point of this whole argument?

There's no point, people are just arrogant picks that think they know everything and have to voice their opinions and correct everyone.

22. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

I'll admit I don't quite understand what is being offered but hey guys, if you don't like what he's offering or don't think it's worth it, then don't buy it. No need for things to get nasty. I for one would just like a bit more info.

@ Ik Animation - Could you post a player with more examples? Can this be used as a lightshaft on a moving object, ie. the headlights on an automobile?

23. adriaanza

adriaanza

Ik Animation thanks for the contribution, however, I don't think calling out Tornado Twins is in the spirit of the community. Some people just wanted to be clear what it is that you are offering, there was no need to really start insulting them and be mean.

You're right in that considering what other projects have been sold justifies this to be sold as well. You obviously can't keep everyone happy, but there really is no need to start throwing personal insults around, e.g. "hahaha man everyone here is ignorant and thinks they know everything."

So $10 does not include the textures as well? That is sold separate, at $5 each? The product page shows largely the same simple gradient duplicated over and over with a different color. I have to say if you'd go to stock sites I'd say that these ones are way overpriced in comparison to what you pay for really high quality textures. I think I can understand people's concern regarding this.

EDIT: It seems like they are included in the $10 package, ok, that makes sense.

Anyway I've seen your animations in the past and they're really of good quality. I think that making animations, such as character ones, are the kind of things that people would be interested to buy and have greater value per dollar.

You should check out Unity Creative Magazine, this would be a great platform to give away character animation to promote your work. Things like that is a great selling point for their mag and allows you to promote additional work by linking to your site, without paying for any advertising.

http://www.3dattack.us/3DAttack/Magazine.html

24. Geenz

Geenz

Oh right, he did that too. Tornado Twins doesn't sell freebies and such. I'm a seller in the Unity Prefabs store, I provided him with product to sell, and I receive royalties accordingly. Please to be thinking before speaking, and also properly researching.

25. BHS

BHS

No it does include all 33 light effect textures for only $10.

And thanks for the suggestions I will look into that and consider selling other stuff like animations. Thanks for having constructive criticism too, I wasn't trying to insult them in anyway. I was just using them as an example and I was replying to a quote from someone.

26. spaceMan-2.5

spaceMan-2.5

hmm.. well.. i think lk Animation with his work is saving us work too... looks reasonable the price for those 33 texture effects....
    but i´m agreed with bigkahuna, more demos will be interesting...

27. BHS

BHS

Yes I'll post more examples. This could easily be used for car headlights I'll make an example to show it.

Also I'm selling a fake volume light or light shafts effects like in Oblivion if you've played that. They are much more efficient then camera effects at no cost to performance. I include 33 light textures with a script that automatically billboards each effect when they have the script attached.

28. adriaanza

adriaanza

Hey do you think you can make dust trails? Imagine a flashlight in a dusty room or like a car's headlights like you said. I'm thinking UV animating a texture, perhaps bump map?

29. BHS

BHS

Yes, I'm working on a car headlight effect right now. I'll post a webplayer in a little while.

30. BHS

BHS

Like I was saying before the possibilities to what you can achieve with the light effect package are endless!

Here's what I did with a few hours of work (screenshot below) and that's just the Unity view port the demo will be up soon. You can save so much time and loose no performance with these light effects.

I will be posting a second example demo shortly.

I used no light in the effects I just used my textures.

Unity view port screenshot, light effects for cars:
    $LightEffectPackageExample 2.jpg

Last edited: Oct 4, 2010
  31. BHS

BHS

Webplayer demo of headlights and street light examples is up, check it out. This example is also included in the unity package at no extra cost. Now you get 3 full example scenes so you can see what you can achieve with this unity package. I've also included 3 extra light shaft effects that have a fading effect for seamless blending. 36 light effect textures total for only $10!

Last edited: Oct 4, 2010
  32. BHS

BHS

One buyer so far and they liked it.

33. SquishyPixels-Glimmer

SquishyPixels-Glimmer

fiddling around with the web deployed examples, I have come up with a list of features that you can add to your script that would help justify the cost.

1. approaching the shafts of light causes them to rotate when you're in them. I would fade this polygon to complete transparency with an exposed variable for distance.

2. option for a texture atlas of floating dust within the beam to give a sense of heavier dust bits floating around in the air. Counterstrike source from Valve did an excellent job of this.

3. offer a projection of the beam that conforms to terrain

4. intensity/color slider with animation capability

these few features would make your price point easier to swallow, in my opinion.

34. BHS

BHS

Another buyer

So people who were asking for the headlight example...have you even played it?

35. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Sorry, I've been tied up with other things. I did give the new webplayer a spin. To be honest the head light cones were so dim I could barely see them. Plus the point of view (from behind the card, didn't allow me to see much. Part of this might be that I'm on a Mac and it seems that most graphics built on a PC looks darker on a Mac.

36. BHS

BHS

Alright bigkahuna I've updated the webplayer with brighter light effects. Now that I look at it they were kind of dim but I was trying to make it look realistic I didn't want them to look washed out. A light fog effect isn't bright and vibrant, but maybe your mac's graphics are a little darker. As for the view it's a car example so I don't know how to better the view it looked fine on my computer. Let me know how it works for you and what you think.

37. TwiiK

TwiiK

Quick question: Is there a reason you're selling the different types of gradients in different colors? Wouldn't a standard white one and any shader with the ability to color tint allow you to create every color of the rainbow?

38. BHS

BHS

Yes the different colors give more of a vibrant color. If you were to completely change the color it might look okay but the different colors give a high quality bright vibrant light effect. Then you can tweak the color from the colors that are available. That's why I put almost one of every colors they can be adjusted from that color.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2010
  39. xadhoom

xadhoom

Regarding the problem when standing directly inside a light cone how about fading out the visible light cone and fading in a halo around the light instead? This might get a much better impression when you are standing "inside" the cone and look up compared to the cut transparent polygon...
    The computation part should be very simple I think using a dot product between light vector and lightToCamera vector + a multiplier for the affected fade region...

xad

40. BHS

BHS

Another buyer, this works well I wish more people were buying it.

Alright guys thanks for the suggestions.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2010
  41. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

I think it should be marketed as a texture pack, otherwise you don't have much worth selling that cannot be cobbled together from assets provided freely. I think this is the main complaint people on here are trying to make.

42. BHS

BHS

Yeah I thought I clarified that, I'll try to make it more clear. I'm also selling 2 full scenes that are included in the texture pack so people have a bunch of preset examples and stuff. It wasn't easy making those scenes. I don't know how I can explain anymore that the main product is the textures and the scenes...Well thanks for the suggestions I'll try to reword it.

43. BHS

BHS

7 more people have downloaded my Light Effect Texture Package. Unity members it's a great deal for only $10 and can make your games look awesome.

44. Jingle-Fett

Jingle-Fett

Not putting you down or anything because I'm sure you put a lot of work into this (the textures are really nice), but what does the script included with this package do? From the way you describe it, it sounds like it does exactly what a line renderer already does (if it does there's still nothing wrong with that). Just want to make sure i understand correctly

45. BHS

BHS

@ Jingle Fett The script isn't the main product, I made the billboard effect so people had a working effect along with the textures. It's different than the line render because the line render is strictly for the line render effect. This script allows you to billboard anything you you apply it to. The line render is just an effect and you can't use the billboarding effect that's on it. It did take me awhile to get a nice billboarding script that works great and allows you to apply it to anything. Also the line render can't be stationary because it has to be moving to show the effect and it's not for light effects like the ones in my pictures.

If you've ever played Oblivion it had a LOT of these effects because it looked great and had no cost to performance. It took me awhile studying Oblivion to get a similar effect like they had. Their effect is identical to mine and I used the same technique. The light effect package has the same AAA quality as Oblivion.

Hope I answered all your questions

46. BHS

BHS

Have had many many many sales. With 5 star ratings to prove how awesome it is! If you haven't seen this light effect pack check it out!

47. BHS

BHS

Great Reviews and has been used in games:

$ReviewOfMyProduct.jpg
    $ReviewOfMyProduct2.jpg

48. angel_m

angel_m

Is it still on sale?

49. BHS

BHS

@angel_m Yes! Only $10!

It was $30 but I like to help the Unity Community out $10 is very affordable and reasonable.

50. Artimese

Artimese

Sorry but I just dont see the difference between a line renderer and this... Your main product (as you stated above) should be the textures of the lights, and btw textures usually arent all that expensive (seeing that you started with 30$, and dropped to 10$)... you can easily make them in photoshop with 4096x4096 300dpi resolution, thats not a problem.

Once i took a closer look at the screen shots, i knew exactly what you did.

- Line renderer from point A to point B
    - Point light to where point B is
    - And ofcoarse the unity glow

No intention on putting down your product, just something I'd like to put out there and say that your product needs more to be appealing to others (clearly its not because of all the flamers that just went off on you :p)