Search Unity

Potential Feature Request for Recenter to Target Heading

Discussion in 'Cinemachine' started by Steel-Grin, Nov 13, 2019.

1. Steel-Grin

Steel-Grin

I'm currently using a FreeLook camera and recentering the camera behind the players back when moving with no camera input ala typical action adventure games. In my case, like a lot of these games, the player rotates based on the movement input not strafing unless they're aiming.

I'm not sure if there's an option I've missed here, but I can't seem to find a way to not recenter when the target forward is facing towards the camera. I'm using 2.3.5 and checked the 2.4.0 changelog, but can't see anything.

I can implement this myself by grabbing the dot product of the target and camera and then disabling recenter when the target forward is within a range of the camera. Maybe there's a more efficient way of doing this like disabling when the player is +/- 180 degrees somehow without having to do a dot, but I'm not sure.

However, should this not be an included option in the editor as it's a use case most people will have if they're making a third person/adventure camera? You would almost never want the camera to recenter when you're walking towards it, you just want it to follow backwards.

2. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

Good idea for a feature, but sadly not implemented yet in core. You'll have to write a little script to poll the character fwd vs camera fwd, and turn off the recentering when it's as you describe. A dot product is probably the most efficient way to calculate it.

Steel-Grin likes this.