Search Unity

PostProcessing v2 PostProcessLayer performance consideration

Discussion in 'Image Effects' started by Garrettec, Oct 22, 2018.

1. Garrettec

Garrettec

Hello.

Today I decided to add PP v2 for our mobile project and was surprised that simply by having active PostProcessLayer on camera FPS dropped from 43+ FPS down to ~28.

Effects itself with activated "Fast Mode" showed quite good results, less then ~3 FPS drop per effect (Color Grading, Vignette, Chromatic Aberration are quite useful not to use them), if only PostProcessLayer haven't kill all the performance...

So the question is if I missed something and this is not the correct behavior, or this is the fact which I should except for now and live with it?

Sorry for creating separate thread for this, I saw similar question here and somewhere else, but both are without answer.

Thanks in advance!

2. aleksandrk

aleksandrk

Unity Technologies

Hi!
    Just a guess: it's doing a blit even if it doesn't have any effects enabled, which is costly. Can you please submit a bug report?

Garrettec likes this.
  3. Garrettec

Garrettec

Hi, thank you for response!
    I'll prepare lightweight test project with reproduction in the evening, because our real project is quite massive to send it.

4. Garrettec

Garrettec

I've reported a bug, here is a Link.
    If you need additional info, I will be glad to provide it.
    I profiled Xiaomi Redmi 3, but we experienced same behaviour on Xiaomi Redmi 4, Meizu M3 and other devices.
    Xiaomi Redmi 3 Profiler.jpg

5. MisterZhou

MisterZhou