Search Unity

PostProcessing Stack only generates a black screen after updating to Unity 2017

Discussion in 'Image Effects' started by Enki-Studios, Nov 2, 2017.

1. Enki-Studios

Enki-Studios

Hi all,

Well, I updated recently to unity 2017. The project is VR, and all was ok before the update,
    But know, as soon as the scene loads I get a black screem.
    The only way to remove the black screen it by just not using the PP Stack.

I am also getting the error warning "Unsupported texture format 0x0", I dont know if its related.

Does anyone know what is happening here?
    I could roll back, but need 2017 for another mobile project, so a fix would be great if possible.

Thanks,
    Ryan.

2. mikaelK

mikaelK

I have the same problem. I really would like to know why is this happening and how to fix it.

3. mikaelK

mikaelK

I might have found a workaround. Seems like it's connected to single/multi pass option on the player settings. Changing that setting helped for me, although post anti-aliasing seems to be broken too. I'm submitting bug report.

4. joshenes

joshenes

I submitted a bug report related to this (Bloom effect specifically), which they said they already know about and are working on it. I only had issues when trying 2017.2, and don't have any problem with the 2017.1 series which I will be staying with for now. Using Multi-Pass Stereo on 2017.2 also seemed to work fine for the Bloom effect specifically, but I can't comment on the others in the stack. If you can use 2017.1, I recommend giving the latest version of that a try.

P_Jong likes this.
  5. IronStomachVR

IronStomachVR

Yeah I have a problem with image effects too. Going to multi pass fixes things but then you lose all the performance benefits of single pass. I'm glad I found this thread I have spent the last 5 days trying to figure out what I had done wrong. Downgrading to 2017.1

6. KarelA

KarelA

sitting on the same problem. Any official word from UT? Please?

7. Enki-Studios

Enki-Studios

Yes thats true, but sadly I need (and I think we all do) Single Pass to achieve the Oculus 90fps mark.
    And yes, you are correct in saying AA is broken, even when using Unity 5, I now have to disconect AA or I get double vision. Sometimes even split in 4.
    I found that, changing the PP profile file, starting the game, then changing back to the original will remove the x2 screen issue.This did not happen before either.
    Ive tried a few version of unity 2017 including the beta. No luck.
    I have rolled back to Unity5 and can at least finish the project. So for now, I would suggest not updating Unity if your in a middle of a VR project that depends on PostProcessing, I did it in hopes for a better result... facepalm.
    Thanks anyway everyone.

P_Jong likes this.
  8. IronStomachVR

IronStomachVR

For me the new singlepass instanced preview results in a blackscreen where as the original singlepass runs but without image effects like bloom. Multipass runs with everything correct but of course with a performance hit that makes an update patch impossible because no one wants an update that makes their game run worse. Seems like a bugfix that should get patched soon as singlepass is an important feature.

9. 265lutab

265lutab

I'm having the same problem in Unity 2017.2p1. Hope they get this fixed soon. I need this for my project which is due to be released soon!

P_Jong likes this.
  10. Konst

Konst

Hey unity, PostProcessing v1.04 , VR(single pass) Win10 Unity 2017.2.0p3 (64-bit) do not work! Merry Christmas.

P_Jong and JamesArndt like this.
  11. Konst

Konst

ok guys v1.04 do not work, use v2 instead.... seems legit

12. IronStomachVR

IronStomachVR

I wish it was that easy but v2 gives me a bunch of compile errors

P_Jong likes this.
  13. Konst

Konst

win10, Unity 2017.2.0p4 (64-bit), v2 -> builded with no problems

14. Kronnect

Kronnect

I guess the issues here are related to Single Pass Instanced and not Single Pass Stereo.

15. 265lutab

265lutab

I have had problems with both when using version 1. Version 2 beta does fix the problems.

16. dienat

dienat

In Unity 2018 worked fine PP in VR in 2019 doesnt work anymore

17. Giantbean

Giantbean

This is happening again. Updated from 2018 to 2019 due to issues with textmesh pro and now post processing wont work.

If I turn off the post Process Layer its not black but my effects don't work. Turning the PP layer off in the inspector while the game runs lets you look around but as soon as you turn the layer back on the screen image pauses for lack of a better term.

Tried
    Project > Packages > Right-click Post Processing folder > Reimport
    didn't work.

Turned off Directly to Camera Target and its no longer black but the Post Process effects are wonky in VR.

Any one have a valid fix?

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
    Electro likes this.
  18. Giantbean

Giantbean

19. thelonelypanda

thelonelypanda

how is this still a problem? it's outrageous