Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[SOLVED] Bad Performance in Unity Editor

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Sayon, Mar 20, 2018.

1. Sayon

Sayon

Whenever I enter play mode, my game is incredibly laggy. After checking the profiler to see what was going on I found that PostLateUpdate.UpdateAudio is using a ridiculous amount of CPU usage (upwards to 50%). I'm kind of confused as to why this is happening seeing as how my game as of right now has no audio components. This issue persisted even after creating a new project and a new scene. I've even tried reinstalling Unity. I can't find anything about this online, so here I am. Any suggestions?

EDIT: After doing a little bit of digging I found this thread. I guess I'll try updating my drivers and restarting my PC and see if this solves the issue.
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/audiomanager-update-spikes.445049/

EDIT 2: After downloading and installing new drivers and restarting my PC the problem is still happening. Any ideas? I might just have to install a early version of unity if this problem persists.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
  2. Sayon

Sayon

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling Unity again and restarting my computer. I'm now at the newer version, 2017.4.0f1 (which is weird because I checked for updates in 2017.3.1), and PostLateUpdate.UpdateAudio is still eating up CPU usage. I'm out of ideas (other than maybe reinstalling Windows, but I'd prefer to avoid that).

3. Sayon

Sayon

So I decided to try and build my game and see if this occurred in the build. However, my game won't even build as it gets stuck on Packaging Assets - sharedassets().assets. I've even tried building a completely empty project and the same thing happens. What is going on... :(

4. Sayon

Sayon

Third times a charm I guess. :rolleyes:

I reinstalled Unity for a third time (this time back to 2017.3.1) and everything is working as normal. The lag is gone and I can build my game again. Dunno what was happening. I guess for future reference for anyone googling this issue, just reinstall, don't open Unity, and restart your computer. Hopefully you won't have as much of a hard time as I did. :D

5. tsibiski

tsibiski

Did it ever get better if you disabled the profiler? The profiler can be extremely resource intensive on its own. Now, if enabling it - and experiencing this problem - is an issue on its own, but noticing a major difference between enabled/disabled is at least useful in debugging.

6. Sayon

Sayon

Yeah the problem still occurred with the profiler closed. In fact the issue wasn't exclusive to play mode. I noticed that in the editor this was occurring in another another process called UpdateSceneIfNeeded (under that was another AudioManager.Update eating up CPU usage).