Search Unity

Post your Workstations here!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by zDemonhunter99, Jun 15, 2014.

1. zDemonhunter99

zDemonhunter99

The title says it all! I Thought it would be interesting to see everyone's computer rigs, desk and where they work. My games are born here:

image.jpg
    Please feel free to post yours! :)

2. TheSniperFan

TheSniperFan

Well, here I go.
    I placed all my work related stuff on the table before taking the picture. My desktop died years ago and I never got to replace it. I eventually got a Laptop (Sony Vaio SVS13A1) which is amazingly powerful and mobile, but it's not the same thing.
    One thing I learned: I'll will neither buy nor recommend a Samsung monitor ever again. Seriously, that piece of crap monitor makes me cry every time I compare it to one of those amazing Dell monitors we have at the University.

Attached Files:

3. KheltonHeadley

KheltonHeadley

Very minimal. Mac Pro, Wacom Bamboo, Sony Wireless Headphones, Logitech Wireless Mouse.

4. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Maybe this is the same for all samsung displays, my Samsung TV is a POS, the backlight is crappy and theirs ghosting on everything. Though admittedly its designed for watching at a distance not for monitor use at a close distance.

5. zDemonhunter99

zDemonhunter99

I agree. Even though Samsung doesn't make bad monitors, it doesn't even compare to the ultra sexy dell ones. Cool workstation though. :)
    That's a rather clean setup, which is surprising. Lol
    Most of us indie game developers have an incredibly messy workstation and believe me, it took me an hour to make my workbench looks like the way it does. xD

PS Macs FTW

6. Sir-Tiddlesworth

Sir-Tiddlesworth

Hahaha, great joke!
    Wait... That was a joke right?

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  7. zDemonhunter99

zDemonhunter99

No comment. :D

8. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

I want to see them messy, because I live in the hole of toys and notes.
    My Samsung monitors are not too bad actually, they aren't shiny either which is a win.

Attached Files:

theANMATOR2b, goat, Ony and 1 other person like this.
  9. landon912

landon912

I have a strange setup for my workstation. I work out of my dinning room, (it's an big, oddly designed, room) and therefore a requirement was that everything could be hidden away. I didn't do any cleaning so don't judge! :)

http://i.imgur.com/zmSlwUO.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/rDwL14W.jpg

Edit: Realized maybe I should have removed my personal information before taking a picture. Blurred out! :p

Last edited: Jun 16, 2014
    Devil_Inside and zDemonhunter99 like this.
  10. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Pringles are the key to a good work station.

11. zDemonhunter99

zDemonhunter99

*Drools* Wish I had 2 PC's...lol.
    So you basically work in your closet? Haha, that's just awesome! In that way you don't even have to clean up when guests arrive. :)
    I agree. Every workstation is incomplete without Pringles. But I'd rather prefer a bucket of KFC to Pringles any time. :p

12. Aurore

Aurore

That's a super neat space saving technique.

No no, just essentially 3 monitors.

dogzerx2 likes this.
  13. NomadKing

NomadKing

If I zoom in close enough, I wonder if I can read all the Unity related secrets on the post-it notes on Aurore's desk!:D

14. Aurore

Aurore

Lol I'll 1up and tell you, one is says "MSFT COMP!" The other are related to reminding about talking web developers about the forums :)

15. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Are your screen thunderbolt?

16. goat

goat

Pringles are too greasy. Munchos are better.

17. CptDustmite

CptDustmite

My setup at work, dual 27s :)

10172741_10152343419101421_238211648497770032_n.jpg

18. KheltonHeadley

KheltonHeadley

I'm planning to get 2x 27" Apple displays. Big monitors make your setup look sexy. Also like that you keep it clean, messy desks make my cry.

Deleted User likes this.
  19. Aurore

Aurore

I have one thunderbolt port on my Macbook for one screen, the other screen uses a usb to hdmi adapter.

20. Sir-Tiddlesworth

Sir-Tiddlesworth

In that case, I won't show you my desk.

peterdeghaim likes this.
  21. zDemonhunter99

zDemonhunter99

That looks so sexy.... Jeez, I'm kinda regretting making this thread. You folks have such sick workstations that I'm now kinda (emphasis on kinda) jelly. :D

22. HolBol

HolBol

Well here's my dusty cave. One 18.5 inch Monitor, and a 22? inch TV doubling as a second monitor. Some speakers, mouse keyboard,screwdrivers, graphics tablet, walet and train tickets, a Wii and XBOX 360. A bin.

dogzerx2 likes this.
  23. Pelajesh

Pelajesh

Heres mine: 23 inch main monitor and some old one for support

dogzerx2 and shkar-noori like this.
  24. landon912

landon912

Seeing all these duel monitors make me want to cry....:(

I miss my second monitor. Rest in peace, old HP.

25. Khyrid

Khyrid

Here's mine

inafield and calmcarrots like this.
  26. MaxieQ

MaxieQ

Here's mine. I don't have a second monitor, and my desk looks terribly cluttered. Everyone will think I'm a cluttered person, which I am, on my desk.

27. giyomu

giyomu

Here is my own mess.....
    Show me your desktop i will tell you who you are hahaha

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 18, 2014
  28. Metron

Metron

Well... my desk... the guy on the other side is my employee (2 others sitting in the opposite side of the room).

The Samsung screen is an 28" 4K screen...

Attached Files:

29. SmellyDogs

SmellyDogs

Ok here's mine. I have been saving up for an upgrade though.

Kona, theANMATOR2b, Rick- and 13 others like this.
  30. giyomu

giyomu

You surely have a stripped down version of unity :D

31. SmellyDogs

SmellyDogs

Yes. Unity -4.1 (retro edition) - you have to ask specifically for it though giving a pre-agreed password. Its what people use to make those 16bit colour platformers you see everywhere now.

cassette.jpg

It comes on one of these.

theANMATOR2b, Rick-, Not_Sure and 2 others like this.
  32. danybittel

danybittel

My workplace is small.. but I've got everything I need.

Attached Files:

33. DanMeyer009

DanMeyer009

I do what I can with what I've got. The only reason it looks clean is because I just set it up a week ago :p
    You can't see it very Well but I use a full tower custom built complete with sli gtx 770s all stored and backed up to my 24tb server I have in home.

Attached Files:

calmcarrots likes this.
  34. zDemonhunter99

zDemonhunter99

Wow... Am I the only one with a single desktop?! xD

35. Goregaming

Goregaming

This is all I have, I'm so poor man :(

Attached Files:

36. zDemonhunter99

zDemonhunter99

Uh.. Huh.. 0_0
    Very poor indeed.

:D

37. OutOfLight

OutOfLight

Newbie here, so Hi! to all :)

I finished this build a while ago but thought I’d post a few pics : - )

This is a professional build for 3D Modelling, Animation, Dynamics Simulations, and 3D Visualisation.

I built this workstation primarily to reduce final production render times, and with 32 Logical CPU cores, 10,752 GPU Cuda cores, 64GB of DDR3 Quad channel memory, and super fast Solid State Drive caching, make this single workstation lightning fast, whether rendering in applications that utilise multi core CPU's or single/double precision GPU compute.

The CPU’s score 26.2 in CineBench R11.5, and 2293 in R15 at stock speeds, and the system renders Nik Clarks 500 iteration 3DS Max Iray test in under 6 seconds.

A detailed architectural scene or interior set to 11,000 iterations will usually complete in approx. 11 minutes using Iray ( 3 GPU's only). I use the CPUs for Mental ray rendering, and one GPU for the system so I can continue working while scenes render. On a tight deadline can use all GPU's and CPU's at full load in Iray without the PSU's breaking a sweat.

The system has dual Enermax 1500w PSU's (3000+Watts / 12v 250A) , so never have to worry about power requirements and everything can run at full load without having to fight for power resources or clock down.

I modified an old Xigmatek HDD cage and fitted 2x 140mm fans in the 5.25 bay area. so the case has 6x intake fans in Push / Pull for optimum cooling.

Very happy with the system, and so far, Touch laminated wood, has been 100% stable under full load in production rendering. As for gaming, GTX Titans in 4-way SLI are awesome

• Asus Z9PE-D8 WS Motherboard. Dual LGA2011, 7x pci-e 3.0 x16
    • Dual Intel Xeon E5-2687W 3.1Ghz, 8GT/s QPI (16 cores / 32 threads)
    • Dual Cooler Master Nepton 140XL AIO CPU Liquid coolers
    • 64GB Hynix DDR3 1600Mhz Quad Channel Memory
    • Intel C602 Patsburg chipset. 40D per CPU
    • 4x Nvidia GTX Titan 6GB (2,688 CUDA Cores per GPU) (10,752 Total)
    • 256GB Samsung 830 6gbps Solid State Drive (O/S & App's)
    • 300GB Western Digital VelociRaptor 10,000rpm HDD (Projects)
    • 2TB Seagate 6gbps HDD (Media Storage, Batch Files, Games)
    • Dual Enermax Platimax 1500W Power Supply Unit's. 95% Eff + Add2PSU
    • LG Blue-Ray, Lightscribe, DVD Writer
    • Logitech Performance MX cordless Mouse
    • Logitech G110 Keyboard
    • Wacom Intuos 5 large graphics tablet
    • 2x HP ZR24w 24" 1920x1200, S-IPS LCD Monitor’s
    • Phanteks Enthoo Primo Case
    • 5x 140mm + 2x 120mm Akasa Viper S-Flow Fans
    • Creative GigaWorks T40 Speakers
    • O/S Windows 7 Professional x64 (SP1)

radimoto, Hagen, dogzerx2 and 3 others like this.
  38. Pix10

Pix10

Very nice, but man I would really hate to see your electricity bill, it's got to be higher than all my render boxes at full tilt.

I've got a similar setup, dual 2687W v2's, but just two titans - simulation cooking rather than rendering. I've been hanging on for the new Maxwell line of Quadro & Teslas all year...the infinite waiting game. I just want to see if their promise of unified VM comes true.

Those look like Dreamcolor displays..? Edit: Ah no, ZR24w's. That would have been a nice topping ;)

39. BBRome

BBRome

Hard Work…

IMG_0035.JPG

real just close…

IMG_0522.JPG

Last edited: Jun 26, 2014
    TwoTen, Rick-, Not_Sure and 2 others like this.
  40. Pix10

Pix10

41. zDemonhunter99

zDemonhunter99

Holy mother of god! 4 Nvidia TITANS?! I'll just go cry in the corner...

Amazing setup, the best I've seen so far!

peterdeghaim likes this.
  42. BFGames

BFGames

43. OutOfLight

OutOfLight

Yeah the lights dim in the south east when I turn it on :)

You can spend forever waiting for the next GPU's, CPU's to come out. Better to build the best rig you can with what's available, unless an imminent release is due :) That way, in a few years time, you still have a damn fast PC.

I thought about waiting on the 16 core / 32 thread Xeons, but if I had of, I would have lost a huge amount of time waiting for renders with my old dual x5650 setup and one GTX 580, and probably a few clients too :)

The rumoured 8GB on the GTX 880 would be very tempting, as I work with large scenes, all depends on the Cuda core count and if it will have crippled GPU compute.

peterdeghaim likes this.
  44. Pix10

Pix10

Yeah well this is the thing isn't it, the need to get things done today, and so long as there's work coming in I'm sure we'll both be dreaming about 24 core Xeon roadmaps in six months. :)

Graphics cards are always a harder bet. I was trying to find a reason to get a 12GB tesla, but then I saw the 16GB Sapphire Fire Pro for half the price, at which point my brain melted and I went to watch some kids TV. Same deal, heavy scenes (128GB a must if you have as many "oops" moments as I do) - and frustrating because it all has to fit into a single GPU's RAM.

But I was reading about the Pascal roadmap last night - unified CPU<->GPU memory - so I think I'll just start hoarding cash and see what monstrosity I can build in 2016. :)

45. OutOfLight

OutOfLight

Sounds like a plan :)

If my Titans don't die a horrible death from running full load most days, late 2016 will probably be my next upgrade schedule too.

Those 12Gb Tesla's and Quadro's are soo damn sexy, just cant justify that amount of cash per GPU. the only way I could prove I am still sane on that one is a lottery win :D

I need the Cuda cores for the app's I use, or I would also consider going down the Fire Pro route. Took me nearly 2 years bit by bit to build this system. Started with just one E5-2687w, 32GB ram, Dual socket Asus MoBo, and an old GTX 580, and old 1200W PSU and Xigmatek case from a previous build and went from there.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2014
  46. deram_scholzara

deram_scholzara

Screens blurred due to accidentally having secret stuff up...

dogzerx2 likes this.
  47. KheltonHeadley

KheltonHeadley

4 Titans, or 4 GTX 780 Ti.. way to overkill overkill dude.

shkar-noori and Deleted User like this.
  48. OutOfLight

OutOfLight

If the system was purely for gaming, then yes it would be a complete overkill, but this is a professional build for 3d modelling and production rendering as stated above in the original post. As for gaming 4x GTX Titans is just an added bonus.

I work on very complex models and large scenes so need the 6GB of onboard memory the Titan offers, and the double precision compute for apps like blender. A 3GB or 4Gb alternative like the 780ti will not render most of my scenes giving a memory resource limit error.

4x GTX Titans is also about fast render times. I carried out Nik Clark’s Iray 500 iteration test on maxforums, and my system completes it in under 6 seconds. As I run a business, this is essential to get projects completed on time. The difference between waiting 35 minutes for a noise free render in iray, down to 9 minutes.

The practical side of having 4 Titans is that I can use 3 for rendering and the main GPU to continue working without lag and freezing, and on a tight deadline can use all GPU’s and CPU’s at full load without any problems due to the dual PSU set-up.

The 32 logical CPU cores are again essential for apps like mental ray and v-ray for fast production render times. As an example a single CPU system using an overclocked I7-3960 @4.6Ghz will score (13.9) in Cinebench R11.5 multithreaded CPU test, but dual Xeons score 26.2, so these expensive components are overkill for a gamer, but essential for business.

radimoto and TylerPerry like this.
  49. zDemonhunter99

zDemonhunter99

Still an overkill. ;)

50. OutOfLight

OutOfLight

Overkill for you yes :D:D:D For what I do there is no such word as overkill ;) More memory, more cores, enough is never enough :D Faster project completion = happy clients, more future work ;) More $$$ for the next insane build :D