Search Unity

Post your asset bundle build times using All [force]

Discussion in 'FPS.Sample Game' started by Flurgle, Oct 24, 2018.

1. Flurgle

Flurgle

Hi everyone,

The project downloaded and loaded up really quickly. It's really great. However, I've been waiting a while for the asset bundle stuff to build using the "All [force]" button in the Project Tools window. In the github it says "he first time around this will take a significant amount of time as all shaders have to be compiled." so I'm not expecting it to be quick.

Has anyone finished it yet, and how long did it take?

2. DougRichardson

DougRichardson

I didn't time it precisely, but it took me between 40 minutes and an hour. My computer has an Intel i7-6700K CPU, 48GB RAM, and an SSD drive.

3. Flurgle

Flurgle

@dichardson thanks, I think somethings wrong with mine. I have similar stats (but with i9-7980xe). I'll try re-building

I've been stuck on this for a while

4. Flurgle

Flurgle

It worked! 2nd time was the charm. Took around 15 minutes.

5. petera_unity

petera_unity

Unity Technologies

When you build the first time it compiles a bunch of shaders. Check your Task Manager and you should see 100% cpu on a whole lot of shader compilers. Next time around it will be much faster. Be ware shaders are not cached so even if you use a cache server and have multiple checkouts you need to pay the compile for every Library folder. (But cache still a big boost for textures).

-peter

DougRichardson likes this.
  6. ceebeee

ceebeee

For whatever reason there is not a lot of shader compilers, there is only one, which is why it's taking so long. Is there a setting to increase the number of shader compilers? This is on Unity 2018.3.0b7

Edit: like Flurgle I had to kill unity and restart to get it to work. Then I got a lot of shader compilers that time. It took 26 minutes on a i7-5930K at 3.5Ghz

Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
  7. petera_unity

petera_unity

Unity Technologies

This is interesting. I have never seen that. I see single threaded compile of shaders in the Editor, but for builds and assetbundles always all cores. If you this happens again, perhaps you can post a bug (using Unity bug reporter as this is not FPS Sample related I think) so we get your Editor.log file etc. Remember to not include the full projecdt it will take forever to pack and upload if you do.

-peter