Search Unity

Post Processing works in Editor, but not in build

Discussion in 'Image Effects' started by dgoyette, Jun 7, 2018.

1. dgoyette

dgoyette

I noticed that the Bloom effect (Post-processing Stack v2) is not working when I create a build of my game. Is there some list of Shaders I need to include in the Graphics settings? I'm already including the Bloom shader, so I'm not sure what else I might need to include. Or is there perhaps some other reason why post processing might not work in a build?

Kaldrin likes this.
  2. dgoyette

dgoyette

It seems that after I do a build, all post-processing effects stop working even in the editor until I switch to a difference scene...

3. arybak89

arybak89

Having the same issue here. Properties from the PPS are not showing up in the build. I get vary different results from the editor view to the build. Any luck figuring this out?

4. dgoyette

dgoyette

I didn't really figure it out, except to assume that it was related to the PPS2 version I'd been using from the github project. I ended up upgrading to Unity 2018.1 (for other reasons), and found that this isn't occurring anymore now that I'm using the Packages version of PostProcessingStack.

5. malkere

malkere

I'm on 2018.2.2 and deferred fog only works in the editor =[

6. Daahrien

Daahrien

same thing happening, in 2018.2.5 :(

EDIT.- actually in my other project it works fine xd

Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
  7. timothy92

timothy92

Make sure you don't have 2 cameras in the scene, that's a common cause of this problem.

pumpkinszwan likes this.
  8. malkere

malkere

My game is entirely built dependent on two cameras, using techniques similar to kerbal space program. Sometimes I have more for render textures. It works fine in the editor with three active cameras. Doesn't work in build.

Do you know more about this "cause"?

Really the whole reason for using it is because of two cameras... If there weren't two cameras I could use any fog asset just fine. Without the "exclude skybox" option the second camera gets wiped out.

9. Daahrien

Daahrien

oh, in my project that doesnt work I have 2 cameras indeed

10. Tonieh085

Tonieh085

Same problem with 2018.2.14
    I have only one camera :(

11. malkere

malkere

I posted it as an issue in the Git in August, still no reply there either =[

12. Lune

Lune

In my case what solved this issue was:

delete the camera you had before updating and create a new one, re add the post processing component and it works fine again.

13. malkere

malkere

I will try that. If that solves it you deserve a cookie.

14. malkere

malkere

I still can't get it to work =[
    Worse yet, it does work in a fresh project.
    So there is something, somewhere, somehow that is making it not work in builds for me =[

15. Phoenix116

Phoenix116

Are you using the post processing from packages? Seems it works much better

16. malkere

malkere

I tried several times to get that package manager to install it, but the asmdef file would always interrupt it and I was never able to. After updating to the latest git zip and after finding that Enviro was interrupting the fog on my two camera setup I was finally able to fix it. !

17. Cloud-Ninja

Cloud-Ninja

@malkere - could you please detail the steps that allowed you to get the bloom effect to be the same from the editor to build? I'm experiencing the same issue. Appreciation in advance :0).

18. malkere

malkere

I never had any problems with bloom personally, only deferred fog. I recreated the camera that uses the effects twice, and I updated the package to the latest on the git repository, not using the package manager.

19. CW_Studios

CW_Studios

Bro I'm having the same problem with the version from the package manager

MaxPirat likes this.
  20. chaseholton

chaseholton

Currently on 2019.1.1 and it does the same thing for me. I’m using SleekRenderer for light Post Processing for mobile and that works fine on mobile builds. I have a condition that switches based on platform to enable the PPS on anything that isn’t mobile and it used to work, but now it’s not. Nothing has changed code or project wise aside from updating Unity to 2019.1.1.

thisaraunity likes this.
  21. LilGames

LilGames

Unity 2018.3.8f1 here.
    PPSv2 2.1.6
    Works perfectly in Editor, does not work in builds. Tested Windows standalone exe on a Windows 10, GTX 1060 6gb and WebGL

22. GoGoGadget

GoGoGadget

Very weird dependencies that seem to break easily in PPv2. A reimport fixed for me in build, then I have had to migrate my own PostFX stack to hold all of its shaders in a "Resources" folder, as anywhere else (for whatever reason) the shaders weren't getting found through non-static FindShader calls.

marquitecte00 and mamapig like this.
  23. cecarlsen

cecarlsen

I have the same issue in 2019.1.3.f1 and also 2019.2.0b4. No Deffered Fog in builds. PostProcessing 2.1.6. Windows. Deferred Rendering.

My player log burbs out this:

Code (CSharp):
    1. WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Hidden/PostProcessing/Uber' - Pass '' has no vertex shader
    2. WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Hidden/PostProcessing/Uber' - Pass '' has no vertex shader
    3. WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Hidden/PostProcessing/FinalPass' - Pass '' has no vertex shader
    4. WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Hidden/PostProcessing/FinalPass' - Pass '' has no vertex shader
    I also tried to ditch the Package Manager and import the newest version directly from Github, but same issue occurs.

Last edited: May 31, 2019
  24. Glader

Glader

Just encountered this on 2018.4.1f1. I use two cameras, and have used two cameras in this particular scene, for years. Don't know why it's happening all of a sudden recently.

25. ScriptsEngineer

ScriptsEngineer

26. sergiusz308

sergiusz308

Don't get it - should it be included by default, since build pipeline should be aware of what being used in the project?...

Maybe it's matter of too aggressive shader stripping or whatever - I can't imagine track all non-unity shaders.

27. mamapig

mamapig

I Luv U! this worked for me <3

28. GVUnity

GVUnity

Sunep and jwgsbbc like this.
  29. Daahrien

Daahrien

That happens sometimes, for some reason shaders aren't automatically added and you have to put them there.

jwgsbbc likes this.
  30. artdoctorka

artdoctorka

Hey, guys! Had same problem, post processing was only in editor, not in camera.
    Solution for me was: go to camera -> Rendering -> check the post-processing.

aleOkkav and granit like this.
  31. DanielDouglas

DanielDouglas

SAVE MY LIFE

32. UzairHassan11

UzairHassan11

I don't have URP or HDRP in my project so I don't see this option in my Main Camera.
    Other than that I've tried many options but none of them seems to be working to show Post Processing in mobile.

33. astracat111

astracat111

Also make sure to include shaders in Project Settings - > Graphics.
    You can also try to put the shader files inside of the 'Resources' folder.
    Do check your Camera as well. Make sure you have a Post Processing Profile set up and everything is checkmarked. More than likely it's due to just not dotting the 'i's and crossing the 't's.

34. alfredbaudisch

alfredbaudisch

No matter what I do, Post Processing does not work in Builds in an URP project, while it works fine in the Editor. Any idea?

upload_2022-12-26_11-8-39.png

upload_2022-12-26_11-9-1.png

upload_2022-12-26_11-9-14.png

35. alfredbaudisch

alfredbaudisch

36. valentin56610

valentin56610

Hello

I am using Unity 2021.3.14f1 and I am having this issue as well, Post Processing working all right in editor but not in built game...
    Happens both on MacOS and Windows...

Am using the Built in pipeline

37. Zaknarfen

Zaknarfen

In my case, it also had to do with the quality settings. In the quality settings, my WebGL builds were using the default medium quality option, so I couldn't see some shader effects. As soon as I set it to High, everything worked again.

38. Glass_Vault_Studio

Glass_Vault_Studio

My issue was similar. Here is how I fixed it:
    • Double check to make sure the main cam has post processing enabled.
    • Make sure the shaders are in the "Resources" folder.
    • Make sure you have the correct Renderer's in the URP Asset. To check, go to Project settings > Graphics > (Double click on the URP Asset). When viewing the URP Asset, you can select your renderer. It turns out I had selected a random one that was from an asset instead of the URP Balanced, which is what I needed.
    • Not sure if this was necessary, but I also changed the Quality settings to default to balanced.
    upload_2023-11-10_15-14-35.png

Attached Files: