Search Unity

Post Processing Volume - Multi-camera Question

Discussion in 'Image Effects' started by unitynoob24, Jun 21, 2020.

1. unitynoob24

unitynoob24

Hey guys,

I have been trying to work through an issue I have been having lately with no luck so far. Basically I have two cameras, Camera A which is my main camera showing everything in my scene, the other, Camera B just shows my players hand so I don't clip into the environment.

Camera A is culling Camera B and works great. The issue this creates is, Camera B no longer is getting the post processing. So I add a second Post-process Layer to Camera B and it applies to the players hand which is all Camera B can see, great! But also, adding a second Post-process Layer to Camera B for some reason.. makes it add again to Camera A.

So now Camera A is running the effects twice which is the problem.

I have messed with layers, different triggers in the layers, and even different volumes, so creating a volume for each camera. But no matter what, Camera B either gets 0 post processing image effects or Camera B gets effects and Camera A gets double effects.

Thanks in advance guys!

2. k_k

k_k

I've noticed this as well. It seems like post processing effects are passed up the stack from the lowest camera override all the way to the base. So any effect applied to camera B will always be applied to camera A (presumably the base camera). And with even more cameras, the problem is exacerbated where all of the effects from camera C are applied to both A and B.

In your case if both cameras should have the same post processing effects, does applying the effects only to camera B have your desired outcome?

I'd be curious to know if this is an intended feature or a bug in the engine.

3. unitynoob24

unitynoob24

Thanks for the reply! Just opened up this project again today and when doing that it half works. It ends up applying the full effect to camera B and like half of the effect to camera A. Super strange. Would love for the layering of post processing to work how it sounds like it should. I think the main issue is due to camera B being a special camera that only sees my hand / armature to prevent clipping.

Overall this seems like a super common issue, not sure what is up. But any FPS using post processing would have this same issue :/ (in theory)

4. unitynoob24

unitynoob24

Bump - wondering if anyone can shed some light on this? I am trying to have two cameras. One for the entire game with post processing. One for my arm so it doesn't clip into the world - using the same post processing. The main game culls the arm. If I add the effect to the arm it doubles up the effect on the main. If I just put the effect on the arm it only seems to work on the arm. Thoughts?

5. ZAXIS

ZAXIS

+1
    I also have a multiple camera case, where the first render everything, a few reorderable cameras for water and volumetric effects, and a final camera that blits to the back buffer.
    The issue is that having post volume and layer on the final camera is fine, but then AO is applied after everything, wheas it should be applied after geometry pass. Trying to move AO to the first camera gives the topic issue.

6. dev_34Disorder

dev_34Disorder

7. Vice69

Vice69

bump 2024, Unity hello?!