Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Post Processing v2 choppy on Android

Discussion in 'Android' started by mikapote, Apr 30, 2019.

1. mikapote

mikapote

Hey everyone,

We're currently focusing on adding very simple post precessing effects on our mobile game. We're using the LWRP 5.7.2 (and thus the PP v2).

When creating a Post Process Volume with very basic effect(s) (ie. chromatic aberration in fast mode, or even just tweaking the exposition in color grading), the game becomes very choppy on mobile (Android).

The weird thing is: when using the profiler, we can see that the frame rate is stable around 60fps! It's as if this issue is not a performance bottleneck, but something like a rendering issue.

Any similar cases out there?

2. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Because it's not designed for mobile, so you should be thinking about using less post. The profiler, is it on desktop? you are aware desktop is a huge computer and the mobile a tiny computer?

Cars aren't the same and neither are computers. Bigger is usually stronger.

3. mikapote

mikapote

Thanks for your answer hippocoder, even if I don't really get why you're using this tone ;)

"Because it's not designed for mobile" => Please take a look at this: https://blogs.unity3d.com/2018/06/11/postfx-v2-amazing-visuals-upgraded/. Especially this part entitled "running on mobile", talking about the new "fast mode".

"so you should be thinking about using less post" => I use only 1 effect now (chromatic aberration), with low intensity and the "fast mode" enabled. Still choppy.

"The profiler, is it on desktop?" => No, I'm of course profiling on the mobile device, thanks. And that's the weird thing, as mentioned in my post: it's running at 60fps on the device... but the rendering is visually not fluid.

4. mikapote

mikapote

To add to my previous message: if I try to deactivate all Post Process Volumes (so, no effects are actually applied), and I only keep the Post Process Layer on my main camera... the game doesn't run smooth either. So it seems that the issue is not caused by hardware limitations.

Also it seems that the perceived choppiness is actually caused by stuttered camera movements (I have a Cinemachine camera following my player). Static elements (like UI stuff for instance) are animated smoothly at 60fps.

So maybe there's something funny with the current version of the Post Processing stack, running on a (fast) moving camera? Anyone using a similar configuration here?