Search Unity

Bug Post Processing TAA broken with Multi Pass

Discussion in 'VR' started by rasto61, Jun 14, 2021.

1. rasto61

rasto61

Using
    U 2020.3.8
    PP 3.1.1
    OpenXR 1.2.0
    XR Mngmnt 4.0.5

when using TAA with Multi Pass and deferred the right eye renders incorrectly.

2. unitydreamer29

unitydreamer29

Last edited: Jun 29, 2021
    rasto61 likes this.
  3. unitydreamer29

unitydreamer29

rasto61 likes this.
  4. ebaender

ebaender

Why has this received no attention for almost a whole year now? TAA is absolutely essential for visual quality in VR, there really is no substitute for it. MSAA & FXAA / SMAA is going to have horrendous specular aliasing on PBR materials and supersampling is too costly for any realistic performance goals.

Using single pass is not an option for developers who depend on multi pass only shaders, and there are no third-party TAA assets that support multi pass either.

Is this just going to get swept under the rug? Is there some reason this can't be fixed? Why is this not a priority issue? I would really appreciate some communication from the Unity team.

5. lazylukey

lazylukey

Yeah would be good if Unity could acknowledge this issue. TAA is definitely badly broken right now in VR multi pass and it's a huge problem for us as we have failed to find an alternative suitable AA method.

Unity: 2020.3.35f1
    PP: 3.2.2
    OpenXR: 1.4.2

Last edited: Jun 18, 2022
    ebaender likes this.
  6. fendercodes

fendercodes

Huge issue. Please fix it Unity!

ebaender likes this.
  7. ebaender

ebaender

Not only is there still no communication, but now to the tracker page is also gone: https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/is...iasing-is-used-with-multi-pass-rendering-mode

EDIT:

After submitting another bug report it turns out the the issue still exists on the tracker, but it was renamed and doesn't show up when your search for TAA for some reason. This is the new link: https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/is...iasing-is-used-with-multi-pass-rendering-mode

There also is a new label "Planned for 3.2.X" now, looks like it's finally being worked on!

Last edited: Jul 15, 2022
    Hobodi and lazylukey like this.
  8. Hobodi

Hobodi

It looks like they've been working on it for years and nothing changes. Just like with the rest of the bugs.

BUMP.

9. ebaender

ebaender

Now it's no longer "Planned' and instead "Under Consideration" for 3.2.X. That sounds like a step back to me, can someone from the Unity team please clarify what this change means?

I would hugely appreciate some information on what timescale we can expect for fixes in built-in post processing, if this is still so low priority that it might take another year I will reluctantly start looking for other solutions. I really want to stick with Unity, but the HDRP is just too CPU heavy and custom shader unfriendly and the URP still doesn't have any TAA.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2022