Search Unity

Post processing stack's Bloom effect causes black screen on android OpeGL ES

Discussion in 'Image Effects' started by shaldar, Jan 7, 2018.

1. shaldar

shaldar

I had a hard time figuring this out. On SOME android devices with OPenGL ES rendering (and this includes the NOX emulator on PC), using the Unity postprocessing stack with Bloom On will render your scene black. Everything will be black except your UI elements. Also, the color mapping - especially the filmic tonemap, will cause black spots on these devices. On other android devices, it works just fine. Haven't tried the iOS build yet.

2. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Well, it's not really intended for mobile at the moment, so it could be anything.

3. Kumo-Kairo

Kumo-Kairo

4. GoGoGadget

GoGoGadget

Unity's PostProcessing stack is far from stable on mobile, it's basically not designed with mobile in mind. If you're looking for production-ready mobile post-processing that has actually been used in multiple released games on every mobile platform, check out the PRISM link in my sig.

5. Kronnect

Kronnect

Black screen on Android are commonly related to out of range or NaN pixel values used in shader operations - those invalid values could be produced by non saturated/very high bright pixel values, probably due to invalid normal values.

6. chrismarch

chrismarch

Which version? If you are using the version from the asset store, then perhaps the NaN remover in the the github version (2.0) will fix the issue. I am running into a similar issue on a console platform, and will be testing v2 vs v1.