Search Unity

1. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Ever participated in one our Game Jams? Want pointers on your project? Our Evangelists will be available on Friday to give feedback. Come share your games with us!
    Dismiss Notice

Post processing stack v2.0 not working with Universal Rendering Pipeline

Discussion in 'Universal Render Pipeline' started by nasos_333, Aug 27, 2019.

1. GameDevCouple

GameDevCouple

Its like half a year since anyone official replied in this thread. Maybe you guys should stop leaving threads like this open if your not going to reply for that long. Its one of the more active threads in this forum section talking about a contraversial topic; its going to get a lot of feedback. Common sense would be to make someone accountable for replying in the thread at least monthly if the original issue causing users pain is still not resolved. Even one reply a month would do something to ease tensions.

Not replying since august however is appalling, how can you possibly justify that to yourselves?

Your in a bad situation in terms of customer trust, why make it actively worse?

Anyway as usual, I was able to find anwers by hopping between multiple forum threads.

Yeah, thats the way to find out official stance on things these days it seems.

Seems like it will come in 2020.1 (along with all the instability that tech release will bring). And despite the claim URP is production ready, I doubt it will be ready even by then.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
    kkrg001, joshcamas and seffles like this.
  2. spryx

spryx

@atariboy
    I'm not using the new 2d lights, so you will need to test this of course. Getting bloom to work with URP was not too bad. Just remember the HDRP forked PP comes by default with URP. Make sure there are no LWRP packages left in your package manager for your project.

You will need to have Core RPLibrary and Universal RP packages in your project. I tried to include a picture of mine, but I can only attach 5 images.

Ensure you have default settings created for URP. Mine looks like this:
    URPAssetSettings.PNG

Please note: Bloom requires a depth texture. I'm not sure why though...someone with more knowledge than I as to how bloom works might be able to tell you

Your project graphics settings should be using the URP asset as a reference for the current render pipeline:
    project settings - graphics.PNG

You will need to then create a volume profile asset. This is where the settings for your post-processing live:
    volume profile asset.PNG

A volume component will need to go on a gameobject within the scene. While you could place this on the camera, it does not have to live here as it is intended to represent a pp volume. Mine lives on a 'Systems' gameobject.
    volume component.PNG
    The volume component needs to use the volume profile you created earlier to know which pp chain to apply to the current volume.

Finally, you need to enable post-processing per camera. This checkbox is easy to miss!
    camera settings.PNG

Best of luck. Hope this works for you. This was adapted from the HDRP guide to enabling post processing (The new URP PP is a forked version of that). You may be able to use that as a reference.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
    sietse-8D-games, Emanx140 and noob101 like this.
  3. noob101

noob101

Really thank you for this , after hours long of research this was the issue all along :)
    enable post-processing per camera

Now I was able to use the OOB post processing with the 2d Experimental lights in URP (2019.3)

spryx likes this.
  4. shiena

shiena

5. illadro

illadro

I had the same problem. Solved going to the camera that I was using and checking the box "Rendering -> Post Processing"

Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
  6. stephanedupont

stephanedupont

No, it's not the same problem. Works perfectly fine for me since several releases. But post-processing is integrated with URP, so you probably have to remove the old post-processing package you are using and use the new integrated one.

7. art4melody

art4melody

Hi, I tried the oob post processing in URP. It works, but the bloom effect is almost not noticeable in the game view. However it is working fine in the scene view. Do you know what I am doing wrong here..?

8. jsull1

jsull1

If you an answer PLEASE tell me, I am beyond frustrated with the same issue

9. art4melody

art4melody

Hi! I managed to fix this by turning HDR option on in the renderer. I hope this fix your issue as well.

10. javisarias

javisarias

I was able to make Post Processing work with the new 2D Renderer in 2019.3, but I had to put the Volume in the same GameObject where I had the camera, that's the only way it worked after trying for hours

nasos_333 and Lars-Steenhoff like this.
  11. n8burba

n8burba

Today I just had a similar issue with the Volume system. Global being set on the Volume on the camera transform didn't do anything. So, I set the Volume Mask to Everything and the Volume Trigger to my main camera transform that also has a collider on it, coincidentally. That worked and I was able to turn Bloom back on.

12. Chris_Payne_QS

Chris_Payne_QS

OMG thank you! I couldn't get the Volume to work at all until I moved it onto the camera GameObject. But the actual reason is that the Camera and Volume must be on the same layer. Not seen that anywhere in the docs and obviously the PPv2 setup encourages you to put the postFX volumes on a different layer.

13. jjxtra

jjxtra

Standard pipeline is still here and very viable for any game :)

14. juanelo

juanelo

Hey folks, I was glancing through the .asset files, and it turns out they're not super different between v2 and the urp embedded. I started trying to layout the differences, because with that at hand, it should be fairly straightforward to write a script that goes through and generates urp post fx from your v2 assets. (I'm surprised the Unity team hasn't provided one). As you can see, most of the changes are just minor renamings, although some fields have ceased to exist and others have been added. (Once you get to color correction curves, though, it gets pretty crazy.) Tentatively, I'd be inclined to initialize empty fields as defaults. I'm curious whether anyone has already started looking into this.

upload_2020-4-2_21-19-16.png
    upload_2020-4-2_21-19-30.png

Attached Files:

15. Brady

Brady

I see code in ForwardRenderer.cs in URP 7.2.1 that references Post Processing Stack v2. But I can't seem to get it to work with it. Can anyone please update us on the status of this? Because the built-in Post Processing is absolute S***e. The bloom is worthless -- at least in VR, the bloom itself is offset a bit to the right. I've reported this elsewhere but no solution seems forthcoming. I. AM. DESPERATE.

16. phil_lira

phil_lira

Unity Technologies

@Brady there's a setting in the pipeline asset to select PPv2. Once that's enabled you can use PPv2 like you would normally use with Built-in pipeline.

17. Brady

Brady

Thanks, I see that added setting and that worked! When I select it, however, it says PPv2 is deprecated and will be removed. I sincerely hope that is an old message and is not true, because the built-in post processing is woefully inadequate as well as terribly buggy. Bloom is offset to the right, and something about the curve of it makes it extremely difficult to get bright things to bloom while normally lit things do not. It seems like almost everything blooms, or nothing blooms. And even if you could get it to not look ugly, it renders incorrectly yielding an unacceptable result, especially in VR. It's as if nobody even bothered to look at the actual results before they let it out the door. On the other hand, PPv2 is excellent, and saved my life just now.

Lars-Steenhoff and nasos_333 like this.
  18. nasos_333

nasos_333

Indeed, since they can work together i dont see any reason why remove it as option

Lars-Steenhoff likes this.
  19. botelho_gt

botelho_gt

Just a feedback from whom was using 2D renderer pipeline (now URP) and cinemachine.

In a new blank scene (no cinemachine) I just got the post processing working when:
    1. I followed the extent comment above (with 5 images), very nice guy - btw ticking HDR in the URP asset is not necessary, but it makes the effects stronger.
    2. I ticked in my main camera "Rendering > Post Processing" (necessary)
    3. put the "Volume" script on my main camera (putting this script and a new object with the same layer of my camera didn't work!)
    But it wasn't still working in a scene I was already working on (with cinemachine, lights etc.). So:
    1. finally (!!!!) when I went to my cinemachine virtual camera and clicked on ADD EXTENSION
    2. selected CINEMACHINE VOLUME SETTINGS
    3. then selected my post processing profile created in my tests with the "Volume" script.
    And BANG, that worked!!! 1 entire DAY to figure this out! OMG! I was getting really frustrated!

I just need to figure out now how to remove the PP effects from my UI, with the URP built-in PP. Any thoughts?

Good luck!

Last edited: Apr 12, 2020
    nasos_333 likes this.
  20. juanelo

juanelo

@phil_lira Do you know in what version of Unity this was added? I can't seem to find the option on 2019.3.3.f1

21. yujinakashima_synsophia

yujinakashima_synsophia

Mine is 2019.3.8 though, the option must be in UniversalRP-xxx.asset in Assets/Settings in red marker following picture.

p.s. Thank you phil_lira, I finally made PPv2 work in URP!!
    upload_2020-4-20_19-7-38.png

22. Abended

Abended

I have upgraded from 2018.2 to 2019.3. I have an asset that was barking about V2 properties. I installed post processing from the package manager, and now I can compile. Have I crossed the streams here? Is there a negative impact using the post processing package when I've read that it is now part of the engine? Looking at my pipeline settings, I am using integrated PP.

unityunity