Search Unity

Post processing stack v2.0 not working with Universal Rendering Pipeline

Discussion in 'Universal Render Pipeline' started by nasos_333, Aug 27, 2019.

1. nasos_333

nasos_333

Hi,

I did few tests and the Post processing stack v2.0 is not working with Universal Rendering Pipeline in Unity 2019.3 Beta.

Is this a known bug or need something else than import the package to activate it properly ?

Thanks for any insight in this issue.

2. Katstodian

Katstodian

Unity Technologies

Hey - Universal comes with its own post-processing solution, which works straight out of the box. ,Universal can't be used with PPv2.

Docs for post-processing in Universal are WIP, and coming along asap. :)

hertz-rat, quixotic and nasos_333 like this.
  3. nasos_333

nasos_333

Hi, thanks for the insight

Is there a way to port our custom image effects from stack v2.0 to use with universal ?

And to extend or to add to those image effects with custom or tweaked ones without touching the pipeline itself, so is compatible with future versions

phobos2077 likes this.
  4. stephanedupont

stephanedupont

Managed to make it work by finding docs on how it's used for HDRP (basically just add a Volume component), but is it me or it doesn't work when using the experimental 2D renderer? (post-processing v2 was working with this renderer)

n3wb13 likes this.
  5. nasos_333

nasos_333

Indeed, volume now has the effects, the question is if we need to tweak those effects or add new, how is it done without forking the rendering pipeline of course, as this would compromise compatibility with anything else (assets in asset store, next pipeline versions etc).

Or generally how is possible to create custom image effects with render targets in SRPs, it does not need to be in a post processing system, standalone would be fine as well.

Lightweight pipeline has one method to render a camera, so i suppose one could render the scene in multiple passes through some shader attached to a quad in front of a camera to emulate the various render texture toggle requirements, but this is much work for something standard pipeline does very easilly.

phobos2077 likes this.
  6. stephanedupont

stephanedupont

Can you please confirm that it doesn't work with 2D experimental renderer? If yes, is there an ETA?

7. spryx

spryx

Sadly, it doesn't appear you can port your own image effects to the new post processing stack in the URP.

raphaelnew likes this.
  8. nasos_333

nasos_333

Indeed, only way is to create custom renderer, like that one suggests

https://twitter.com/john_o_really/status/1120718795063156737?lang=en

But i dont know if this is something that can be generally applied, or will change or become depreciated like everything these days in Unity becomes obsolete in matter of weeks.

I hope we get a final word on how to create image effects and custom blit to render textures soon.

phobos2077 likes this.
  9. spryx

spryx

its going to be a fun day when everyone realizes their custom effects for LWRP no longer work when using the URP...

10. nasos_333

nasos_333

I had started converting everything to stack v2.0 and now nothing works of course, so i had my fun day upon Unity 2019.3 release already :)

jacodavis, spryx and EvOne like this.
  11. noio

noio

:eek:

Eh. Yikes! I quite liked the custom PP effect workflow[1] and have built a bunch of visuals around it. (I also thought the codebase for the PP stack is quite nice!) Are custom image effects not going to make a comeback at all?

Definitely feeling the deprecation fatigue here :(

[1]

12. joshcamas

joshcamas

What in the world... This changes everything. I was planning on transitioning to URP, but now... I don't think that's viable.

phobos2077 and AlejUb like this.
  13. gustavolsson

gustavolsson

As I understand it, you can still use the post processing v2 stack if you add a volume component but the official URP post-processing will probably be built around "render features" for custom renderers a là: https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/LWRP-CustomRendererExamples (note this is me speculating)

I can definitely see how adding new render features to a custom renderer could be easier and more powerful than the old post-processing stack. The word custom here is a bit too scary for what it is, you can simply extend the default forward renderer with more render passes, no need to write any code.

Here is a screenshot from me using the post-processing v2 stack and LWRP together in Unity 2019.1 (I even use a custom render feature to render the sharp shadows and everything seem to work nicely together):

14. joshcamas

joshcamas

Ooh so URP is making its own new post processing pipeline, but it will also support the "standard" post processing pipeline? Jeez, what a mess. But hey as long as it works!!!! If this is true then I'm very glad

15. nasos_333

nasos_333

Indeed it works in Unity 2019.1 and 2019.2, but i tried 2019.3 and is not working, like in HDRP pipeline.

This is the first version they use this new URP and its image effect system, so the stack will stop work when 2019.3 is released i assume, as is not working in Beta so far.

SgerbwdGwyn and gustavolsson like this.
  16. n3wb13

n3wb13

It does not work on my end. But since it's almost a month when you made the comment. Can I know if you, or anybody figure a way to use post processing with 2d renderer?

17. jacodavis

jacodavis

Unity is decimated, Unreal Engine here I come. This is beyond a joke now

Sarronco, faolad, SgerbwdGwyn and 3 others like this.
  18. castor76

castor76

This is both exciting, yet frustrating time indeed... The recent Unite talk showed some water shader "plugin" that just extends the rendering pipeline to do its effects "without modifying" the existing default pipeline. I really wish there is more info on how that is done? That is probably one thing that people would really want to know. It seems like that is the way to create custom effects going forward...Probably using the same method to extend HDRP.

19. nasos_333

nasos_333

The problem is that confidence level in anything new right now is zero, even if they have this system to extend the pipeline, it can be changed overnight and then nothing works again, like they did with post processing stack v2.0, LWRP to URP etc etc

The main problem right now is that Unity is not stable for any extended development besides the standard things Unity provides and there is zero confidence in starting with anything, as is expected to change overnight.

20. castor76

castor76

I can really imagine it is a dreaded time for the asset store developers.. :(

phobos2077, superjayman and nasos_333 like this.
  21. nasos_333

nasos_333

It is a bit like building your sky scraper in quick sand and hope it does not fall. Plus the new store has a huge negative effect on sales, making it even more hard and risky to go about building for such a moving platform with little expected return.

superjayman likes this.
  22. castor76

castor76

Just curious, what effects does new store has on the sales exactly?

23. nasos_333

nasos_333

Just had a massive drop in sales after was fully rolled out. Not sure why yet, but is lot of things that seem to affect

24. joshcamas

joshcamas

The new store also broke all of the old links :^)

nasos_333 likes this.
  25. andybak

andybak

Why would you do this! Not breaking links is a fundamental thing to do for anything you care about.

So it's either an inexplicable oversight - or Unity doesn't care about the Asset Store income stream either for itself or it's developers.

superjayman likes this.
  26. castor76

castor76

I feel like asset store is becoming more like the other stores where care is focused on more towards money making assets. This I guess cant be avoided to some extend... I almost think Unity will probably make more money from asset store income than its subscription, definitely more than their perm licensing era.

I do question Unity's care about the asset store management if I see facebook ads that contains assets that has been deprecated long time ago..

27. nasos_333

nasos_333

I think they do care for the store, but not much, as there is no store link in their main unity.com page front, so probably want to sell more Unity for various cases like vr, design etc and move away from games and the store.

Otherwise i really cant understand not have a link to the store as it would exponentially increase asset sales in general.

Instead they have some random categories of how Unity can be used in million ways, and games seem like an afterthought lost in these many categories of other random uses.

Also if go to Games link, there is zero mention of the store as well.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
  28. castor76

castor76

If you think about it. Subscription model kinda gives away why they are doing what they do. Unity needs to have more people subscribing in order to make the business model to makes sense. So it is natural for Unity to reach out other sectors. I am not saying reaching out and broadening the industry types is a bad thing. But it had to do it on the solid foundation on its core users, which I still likes to believe it is gaming. Unity seems like it wants to do both well, but their change of technology during 2018 and 2019 versions just feels like still a in progress and not production ready. SRP and ECS seems like it needs more time and without they being fully production ready both for end users and market place devs, it feels like nothing much to show for 2018 and 2019. In my humble opinion 2018 and 2019 was just anarchy to be best. Lets hope 2020 be better.. with production ready multiplayer added on top.

scvnathan likes this.
  29. nasos_333

nasos_333

Agree with everything, they seem to be doing too much with lot of inconsistency, i too hope will get better and store gets a bit more exposure too in the process, because now many users may not even know it exists without a clear link in Unity.com.

30. superjayman

superjayman

Where are the docs? Unity can you clarify what on earth is going on with Post Processing, which how where to use with what pipeline, it's all sooooo confusing?.. is LWRP pp compatible with URP, SRP, HDRP, LTS. What is going on give everyone an update.

31. MadreDeDios

MadreDeDios

The docs have been promised two months ago. LWRP is already declared deprecated, and no official solution has been given for custom PP effects in URP.
    The least you could do is show your presence in this thread. Come on, PPv2 has literally been deprecated as soon as everyone started to get a hang of it. If you truly believe it was necessary to deprecate it, handle the transition! Come on, don't leave us alone in this.

32. superjayman

superjayman

WHERE ARE THE DOCS UNITY??

33. vertxxyz

vertxxyz

34. enslaved2die

enslaved2die

Its really annoying, its again a completly different approach how to change settings at runtime.
    Stack v1 was totally garbage, v2 was fine and in this one I cant get it to work at all. The values are changing in the editor, but the rendering does nothing. There are no docs, no explanation at all how to do it. Unity really needs to settle down a bit. Its nice that there is so much new stuff coming, but when will it stop, Im currently in the mood to where I stop lerning anything new about unity puts out because in the next week it will be totally outdated again.
    Btw If anyone have a solution about the Post Processing Problem, I want to hear it.

35. nasos_333

nasos_333

Unity major advantage was making games easilly in a stable multiplatform environment.

Now has become extremely complex and fragmented and even desktop has 3 incompatible pipelines making it unbelivably complex to keep up with all platforms and changes.

I just hope they settle to something and we can work, because seems like they care now more about bringing new things than giving an environment that you can trust to start a game on and not expect your game become obsolete because everything in it is depreciated or need to change to another pipeline or image effect etc set

phobos2077, kkrg001, Rich_A and 3 others like this.
  36. GorillaJoes

GorillaJoes

You are completely correct. Feels like having we have to figure out how to develop our projects without focusing on visuals until Unity figures it all out.

nasos_333 likes this.
  37. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Does anyone know how to write a custom effect for the URP post processing? The docs say nothing about it :(

AlejUb likes this.
  38. spryx

spryx

You can't currently. See this thread:
    Lightweight Render Pipeline is Evolving!

MadeFromPolygons likes this.
  39. enslaved2die

enslaved2die

Does anyone know how to change PP via script in URP? I see that my values are changing but nothing is happening in rendering :/

I want to do a "Camera" Shake with Lens Distortion in AR.

I based my code on the HDRP PP examples, because it is basically the same system.
    I think I'm on the right track here...

my current code:

Code (CSharp):
    1. using System.Collections;
    2. using System.Collections.Generic;
    3. using UnityEngine;
    4. using UnityEngine.Rendering;
    5. using UnityEngine.Rendering.Universal;
    7. public class CameraShake : MonoBehaviour
    8. {
    9.     Volume volume;
    10.     LensDistortion lensDistortion;
    11.     ChromaticAberration chromaticAberration;
    13.     // public VolumeProfile volumeProfile;
    15.     public AnimationCurve animationCurve;
    17.     // Start is called before the first frame update
    18.     void Start()
    19.     {
    20.         Volume volume = gameObject.GetComponent<Volume>();
    21.         LensDistortion tmpLD;
    22.         ChromaticAberration tmpCA;
    24.         if(volume.sharedProfile.TryGet<LensDistortion>( out tmpLD ) )
    25.         {
    26.             lensDistortion = tmpLD;
    27.         }
    29.         if(volume.sharedProfile.TryGet<ChromaticAberration>( out tmpCA ) )
    30.         {
    31.             chromaticAberration = tmpCA;
    32.         }
    34.     }
    36.     [ContextMenu("Shake")]
    37.     public void Shake()
    38.     {
    39.         if(lensDistortion != null)
    40.             StartCoroutine(AutoShake());
    41.     }
    43.     IEnumerator AutoShake()
    44.     {
    45.         float progress = 0;
    46.         Vector2 center;
    48.         while(progress < 1)
    49.         {
    50.             progress += Time.deltaTime;
    51.             float x = Mathf.Lerp(0.5f, Random.Range(-0.5f, 2), animationCurve.Evaluate(progress));
    52.             float y = Mathf.Lerp(0.5f, Random.Range(-1.3f, 2), animationCurve.Evaluate(progress));
    53.             center = new Vector2(x, y);
    54.             lensDistortion.center = new Vector2Parameter(center, true);
    55.             chromaticAberration.intensity = new ClampedFloatParameter(Mathf.Lerp(0.05f, 1, animationCurve.Evaluate(progress)), 0, 1, true);
    56.             yield return new WaitForSeconds(0);
    57.         }
    58.     }
    59. }
    Any Ideas?

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
  40. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Literally asked the same thing above..... did you not actually read the thread? look literally just above your comment and youll see the answer.

41. enslaved2die

enslaved2die

Yeah... no this isnt even the same, you want to write your own effect, I want to modify values from already included effects. Maybe you need to read better LUL

42. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

We really need custom post processing to be supported out of the box, otherwise we cannot switch to URP :)

43. MadreDeDios

MadreDeDios

I agree! And 2019.3 is almost out of beta, and forcing URP on us! Still no custom PP and Unity has been silent on this topic for weeks.

Lars-Steenhoff likes this.
  44. xCyborg

xCyborg

Can you share please, I'm kinda stuck here with the Grayscale example from the old PPv2 docs.

45. xCyborg

xCyborg

I could write an initial Component that extends VolumeComponent and IPostProcessComponent and shows up in the Profile but can't associate the shader to it, any ideas?

46. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Did you manage to solve this? trying to make a custom post processing effect on URP but completely unable to. The examples dont work. Hard to find reliable info anywhere, getting frustrated by this a lot.

47. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

@Katstodian can you please respond to some of the above?

Does anyone here know who else to @ about this?

48. AlejUb

AlejUb

Evolving not... the URP built in has less features (for example, Vignette has rounded corners or not toggles, no more slider for the amount of roundness), fragments them (Color Grading became about 3 or 4 separate effects, which could be seen as good or bad) and/or breaks stuff with answers and explanations nowhere to be found:
    - Post Processing doesn't respect alpha channel output anymore, so can't make post processing on the UI to then mix it with a 3d render that had it's own post processing pipeline... because the UI's alpha will be forced to be fully opaque (even if set to start with a clear color canvas).

Are the same devs in charge of URP post processing the ones from PPv2? feels like not at all...

49. seffles

seffles

Just adding my two cents to the "I can't use URP because it doesn't support custom post-processing" bandwagon.

I use a ton of custom effects in a 2D game that uses the experimental 2D lighting system, and I'm feeling a bit trapped by the entire URP experience. So much so that I'm considering changing engines, which would be unfortunate.

50. atariboy

atariboy

Hey, guys. Same thing, 2D game, experimental 2D lights. I'm trying to upgrade to 2019.3 and have absolutely no idea how to even make a simple bloom work. :(

deltamish and seffles like this.