Search Unity

Post Processing in VR?

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by UniversalGesture, Jan 19, 2018.

1. UniversalGesture

UniversalGesture

How can I use post processing in VR? The graphics look really dull without it.

stalinCarrion96 likes this.
  2. lordofduct

lordofduct

stalinCarrion96 likes this.
  3. UniversalGesture

UniversalGesture

I have and it worked, but there's no tutorial on how to set it up in VR

4. lordofduct

lordofduct

I'm still not understanding how VR has to do with this.

If you set it up, and it works.... why does it need to have a VR oriented tutorial?

thisaraunity likes this.
  5. UniversalGesture

UniversalGesture

It works if you have a non vr project, then you just have one camera to deal with. VR cameras also have a forward rendering path which is different from the tutorial settings I've seen so far.

6. lordofduct

lordofduct

OK...

This is what I'm asking, what is happening that is not working in VR?

My point is, describe your problem. Give us details. Give us a way to recreate what is going on.

Why should we put in effort to solve your problem if you won't put in the effort to even describe it to us?

7. UniversalGesture

UniversalGesture

You need a deffered rendering path for post processing and VR uses a forward rendering path, and there's no tutorials anywhere for this.

gareth_untether likes this.
  8. Ryiah

Ryiah

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
    UniversalGesture likes this.
  9. UniversalGesture

UniversalGesture

thank you, I don't think I can preview the effects since I have to set it for each eye camera, so how do I find the scene view camera so I can test things out?

10. UniversalGesture

UniversalGesture

never mind got it to work, you can just click on the camera

11. AdamBL

AdamBL

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but do you need to apply the effect to each camera (left eye, right eye, center) or will just applying it to the center do? Or do you need to apply it to the rig itself somehow?

arufolo likes this.
  12. UniversalGesture

UniversalGesture

I did get it to work I believe by just applying it to the center. I don't think you need a post processing component for each eye.

13. psych77

psych77

This is not working at all for me on Oculus rift. Tried everything. Used to work before i installed 2018.1 and lightweigt pipeline.

14. UniversalGesture

UniversalGesture

I'm using Unity 2017.3.0f3
    Putting the Post Processing Behavior script (with the post processing profile chosen for it in the script's profile variable) in CenterEyeAnchor makes it work.

arufolo likes this.
  15. Krushlit

Krushlit

I did the same and Left and Right Cameras show black screen.

Whitesidevfx and NoSpoonAnim like this.
  16. Leland_Unity

Leland_Unity

Have you solved your problem? I also encountered such a problem

ROBYER1 and CNR-EpiTel like this.
  17. CNR-EpiTel

CNR-EpiTel

I'm reluctant to add postprocessing in VR because of that.

18. unity_gQOrGCjvZVHgaw

unity_gQOrGCjvZVHgaw

If you don't have a VR headset connected Unity will use the fallback camera. This means you will have to add all components to that camera as well if you want to see any differences during testing. Once connected to a headset, unity will use the standard camera.

InesHilz likes this.
  19. SharonEL

SharonEL

I have following issue: I want to create a VR Game with Post Processing, but when I start testing at first it shows me a black screen, then I relode it again, second time: Splittet eye view. Left and right. I don't know how to fix it. And yes, I read the whole thread. My Post.Proc. Script is on my VR Camera, only AO, Bloom, Color Grading on.
    Could someone help me? Is there a newer version where the problem is fixed? Thanks! VR P.P. Cutout.png

20. TeamDefiant

TeamDefiant

I'm also trying to get post processing to work with the LWRP in VR.

It works in desktop mode as I expect, but when I build it onto a VR device, (Oculus Quest in my case) I don't get any PP effects at all.

Unity 2019.2.2f1
    LWRP: 6.9.1
    PP: 2.1.7
    PP Effects: Bloom, Vignette, Chromatic Aberration, and Grain.

21. VirtualPierogi

VirtualPierogi

I have the same problem now, expected it to work as its marked stable but its now too late to rewrite everything for release.

22. TeamDefiant

TeamDefiant

I should point out that this issue is only there on Android based VR devices. When ran on a rift, PP works as expected.

23. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hello,
    I also wanted to add some Post Processing effects to VR. I am working currently with the Oculus Quest.

For testing I just wanted to test a Black and White effect. In principle it is working. However in the center there seems a difficulty getting the "two eyes" together. There is a dark "line" in the center. I tried to have the PP layer on the left&right eye and only on the center eye, no difference.

Anybody had the same problem so far? Is that an anti-aliasing effect?

Thanks

Attached Files:

24. placebo_yue

placebo_yue

I once managed to get postprocessing to work on steam VR by creating another camera inside the camera rig.

It's like it overrides the camera on the rig, and this one actually lets you use postprocessing for some reason.
    Strangely, i can't get it to work on an old project of mine, that also uses SteamVR. Both made on 2018.2.2. Possibly im using an older version of steamVR on that one.. who knows.

25. dienat

dienat

With 2018.3 i have no problems but with latest 2019.2 version VR single pass doesnt work with posteffects V2, its the same proyect updated to 2019, its amazing that Unity breaks VR in a more advanced version

26. dienat

dienat

I see doesnt work either with posteffects V1

27. HorstJockel

HorstJockel

i have a similiar problem. the line in the middle isnt dark, but there is a line!
    have you found a solution for this problem?

28. CreativeArea

CreativeArea

Just in case someone stumbles across this thread like i did:

Using URP in Unity 2021 (and the Oculus Integration with legacy backend for hand tracking) you just need to find the "CenterEyeAnchor" in the OVRCameraRig and activate Post Processing in its Camera Component.

Works perfectly on Quest 2 with global post processing volumes.

29. hiab-x

hiab-x

Hello. I'm new to this as well. I followed a tutorial for Post Processing which was pretty straight forward in terms of setup, but the tutorial only focusses on a non VR scene. I'm on Unity 2020.3. (URP) When I follow the steps, ie attaching PP to main camera (adding process and layer) setting those controls to global in Volume, what I don't seem to get is any obvious effect on screen to indicate that it's working. Vignette is a perfect example, there is simply not measurable effect in the Unity editor, so it would appear that something is wrong in the config. Can anyone advise?

Last edited: Oct 3, 2021
  30. t-wick

t-wick

Hey,

Can you please explain step by step how you managed to get this working with postprocessing with the OVRCamera rig. I tried what you mentioned but don't see how it can find the postprocessing volume by just ticking that box?

Thanks in advance

31. InfiniteStates

InfiniteStates

You, sir, are a hero - I've been trying for a few days to get this working, and it's just this little check box lol :D

For anyone else in the same boat, it's here... image_2021-11-21_154924.png