Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Post Processing effects in stack v2.1.7 work in Unity 2019.2 but not in Unity 2019.1

Discussion in 'Graphics Experimental Previews' started by nasos_333, Jun 26, 2019.

1. nasos_333

nasos_333

Hi,

I used Unity 2019.2 Beta to create some image effects and when i port to Unity 2019.1 they don't seem to work anymore !

Anyone knows why ? Seems like Post Processing effects in 2.1.7 stack not work anymore, though the installer says they are Unity 2019.1 verified. I use HDRP pipeline.

Thanks in advance

2. Grimreaper358

Grimreaper358

Post Processing for HDRP has been replaced with an HDRP specific Optimized Post Processing. You are most likely using an old version of HDRP with whatever 2019.2 version you are using.

The Post Processing Stack now only works with LWRP and the Default Render Pipeline. LWRP will also receive it's own optimized LWRP Post Processing as well but will also continue to work with Post Processing Stack v2.

3. nasos_333

nasos_333

I use 5.2.3 version and 2.1.7 of the stack

Not sure which is latest though

hm, there is 6.5 and 6.7 that could be the new ones, used in Unity 2019.1

I wonder though why kill the use of stack v2.0 to enable the other one and not co-exist

4. Grimreaper358

Grimreaper358

The HDRP Post Processing is optimized for HDRP, has higher quality effects, and integrated into the Volume system for HDRP, and supports HDRPs Physical Lighting system. Compared to the more general PPv2 Stack made for every pipeline, this wouldn't be able to achieve similar quality as the new Post. It can do what PPv2 can and more so no need to keep the other one around when it's the limiting factor.

5. nasos_333

nasos_333

Depends, if all needed is a simple image effect, maybe not need to calculate an extremely expensive volumetric effect for it though, maybe this can be an option for HDRP games that need be optimized.

It is like the standard material, why use an overkill material when can use a simple few lines of shader code one for example. It is better to have all options open.

6. Grimreaper358

Grimreaper358

There's nothing volumetric about the Post Processing. The Volume System is the same as V2 you just add effects to it and set it to Global (Always on) or have it just affect the volume space so when you enter the volume the Post Processing is turned on. it's what you're already used to.

nasos_333 likes this.
  7. nasos_333

nasos_333

I see, you mean the separate post processing is still there, just integrated now. That make more sense, so hope they have some tutorial on how to program it with new effects soon.

8. Grimreaper358

Grimreaper358

There is a Post Processing Shader Graph master node in the works. I'm not sure about the scripting side of it or if we will only have to use Shader graph for post extension.

nasos_333 likes this.