Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Post Processing documentation in the main manual is outdated

Discussion in 'Documentation' started by syscrusher, Feb 7, 2019.

1. syscrusher

syscrusher

There is pretty good documentation for Post Processing Stack 2.x on the GitHub pages, but since this is now the default version installed by Unity Package Manager in recent versions of the Unity Editor, that documentation should IMO be migrated into the main Unity manual for the applicable versions. There are important topics like post processing volumes that were introduced in 2.x, and the old 1.x workflows will not always work in 2.x. I'm afraid a lot of people may get confused if they don't realize the problem is documentation and not their project.

NorthStar79 likes this.
  2. NorthStar79

NorthStar79

I agree.. so I am replying here to bump up this post.

syscrusher likes this.
  3. Katstodian

Katstodian

Unity Technologies

Hey! Technical writer here. Thanks for catching this. I'll look into the outdated docs in the Manual.
    Post-processing v2 is a Package in Unity now, and therefor has its own documentation site: https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/com.unity.postprocessing@2.1/manual/index.html

Packages have their own little documentation domain (like the one I just linked), which are built from the docs in the package repo (like what you've found on GitHub), whenever a package is released/promoted to Package Manager.

You can find package documentation in two ways:
    Latest versions are listed on this page: https://docs.unity3d.com/2019.1/Documentation/Manual/PackagesList.html
    For a specific package, find it in Package Manager, and click View Documentation.

syscrusher likes this.
  4. syscrusher

syscrusher

Thanks for the reply, and the workflow explanation.

I was less concerned about finding the docs myself (which I did, though on github rather than the link...so I'll update my bookmark), but more concerned that someone new to Unity might rely on the outdated docs in the main section. There have been a lot of changes in Post-Processing since the 1.x versions.

Again, thanks for the reply. I'll consider this resolved pending your updates.

Finally, from one technical writer (it's a major part of my job, too) to another, thanks for all the nonglamorous but important work you do to help the rest of us learn and use Unity!

5. Katstodian

Katstodian

Unity Technologies

Hi again! So sorry for this reply being this late.

Here's what we did:

1) We stripped the mention of Post-processing workflows/UI from the Manual Proper, and left the conceptual pages about what post-processing does. (stripped from all 19.x and 18.x pages)
    2) We added an overview page in the PP section about the different elements of PP available (post-processing stack, ppv1, ppv2). With links to the HDRP and LWRP packages. (In a publish queue, still, so not online as I type).
    3) We bumped the https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/PackagesList.html link to higher up in the Manual and mentioned it more places in the Manual, hoping it'll become more apparent to users.

Here's what we haven't completed yet:

- We're in ongoing research about how to improve the coherency between PP conceptual descriptions and workflows in HDRP and LWRP - trying to also future-proof for upcoming PP features.
    - We're working on consolidating the delivery of documentation for a unified experience. Because of reasons, it's not straightforward. But trust me, the Docs team is on it. :)

(And thank you for that kind comment. Even on the most non-glamorous days, I am eternally motivated by the fact that my job helps users create actual magic!)

syscrusher likes this.