Search Unity

1. Unity 2019.2 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice

Post Liner Pro (and Post Liner Free)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by jhughes2112, Jul 1, 2019.

1. jhughes2112

jhughes2112

https://reachablegames.com/unity-assets-postliner/

Now Available: Post Liner Pro/Free is a Post Effects Stack v2 extension outline effect that works on any kind of renderer. Lots of features, great performance, and most of all... inexpensively set to the minimum price on the store.

I'm still writing documentation for it, but in the meantime, here's a teaser image:

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    Circool likes this.
  2. jhughes2112

jhughes2112

Docs are done, packages are uploaded. Depending on how long it takes for the Store admins to get through evaluating the package, it shouldn't be long now. It's the first time I've offered a free version of something, so I hope it encourages folks to check it out... kind of try before you buy, if buying is something that makes sense.

Out of curiosity, do any of you try Free versions of things, or do you just assume they're junk?

3. christoph_r

christoph_r

Good question - personally I think they can be a great way of figuring out whether an asset fits into a project/workflow/whatever. If I like the free version, chances are I'll get the one with a price tag too, even if it's just for the sake of encouraing further development/support.

By the way: I can't find any info on the free version that a pro version exists (and vice versa) - or what the differences between the two are.

4. jhughes2112

jhughes2112

I (and the other asset developers) definitely appreciate that attitude. Post Liner Free and Post Liner Pro just went live this morning. Still some kinks to work out, like cross-promoting them. Thanks for pointing that out!

If you pull down the Free version, there's a PDF with details on what is different between it and Pro. Or, if you check out the website https://reachablegames.com/unity-assets-postliner/ there's a PDF linked there, in case you don't want to download the asset to check it out.

There've been a couple of requests already, so likely a slightly updated version will come out in a couple of weeks with more features, after I've had a chance to implement and run it through the store team.

christoph_r likes this.
  5. christoph_r

christoph_r

Beyond basic decency, it's also the logical choice from a business perspective. Good assets can be incredible time savers. Most are seriously underpriced, judging by the time they can save you - especially if they are well supported. If buying the pro version means that the asset devs are more likely to keep on doing what they do, it seems like money well spent.

Realistically, I doubt people download assets to check out a PDF, I frankly wouldn't even have considered that as a possibility :p I'd personally look for a sentence or so, along with a link to a more detailed description, but that's just me.

I also saw that you plan to support HDRP: Looking forward to that, but currently it appears that PP v3 (which is built into HDRP, v2 doesn't work) does not yet support extensions.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  6. jhughes2112

jhughes2112

Thanks for the responses. Yes, most assets are underpriced given the time and talent it takes to make them. And, pricing software is hard, given Unity can be used without paying it kinda sets the expectations low since the value per dollar is high.

I'll take a pass over the text and add some useful links and images in the Free version so it's more clear what you can upgrade to without having to download the free version. Great suggestion. I was focused on just getting them out there without bugs initially.

My projects are still stuck in native renderer, so I haven't played with HDRP or SRP in general. Integrating with the PPS is pretty easy with v2. I expect it will be for v3 as well, once it's ready.

christoph_r likes this.
  7. jhughes2112

jhughes2112

Today v1.1 of both the Free and Pro versions of Post Liner went up on the asset store!

In this version, you'll find some small fixes for objects that were actively in the outline list but the object gets destroyed (shot/killed/etc). It used to throw errors, so I pull null transforms out of the list automatically now. Oops!

While I was in there, I cleaned up the docs a little and changed the primary folder name to be PostLinerPro and PostLinerFree instead of just PostLiner for both packages. This obviously would cause problems for people upgrading, and that's not a very good experience right off the bat. So, if you do grab the new version, be aware of that folder change and make sure you don't end up with two copies of the project. I honestly don't know how well the asset store package manager handles this... but I wanted to get my end of it fixed before it affects too many more folks. Apologies in advance for any trouble.

Have a great day!

8. Hazneliel

Hazneliel

Hello, does this works in VR?

9. jhughes2112

jhughes2112

I don't have a VR rig to test it, and have never set up a VR project so I can't say how well it works first-hand. I would expect it probably only has the depth values from one camera. But if the post fx stack renders twice, it will outline the same pixels on both cameras, most likely, as it's a 2d screenspace effect. If you sent me a sample scene setup the way you need it, I could see how something like that might work.

Alternatively, you could try the free version in the meantime and see for yourself?

Thanks for asking!