Search Unity

Post FX Studio v2.0 [ RELEASED ]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by echologin, Jan 2, 2014.

1. echologin

echologin

Anytime !

2. Alf203

Alf203

Just posting to say that this asset is amazing.

I'm really excited for area effects, it will be incredible !

3. echologin

echologin

Thanks Hopefully i can on that soon

4. chelnok

chelnok

What i understand, this asset also works with unity free, but its slower compared when used with pro. I tried to find some info what slow means in this context, but coudnt find, and i'm not really sure if any of examples were done with unity free?

I know there is some other postfx assets for unity free, and i'm pretty sure they all use readpixel technique to do their magic, or at least i cant imagine any other way to do it. While talking about using this with unity free, can any (lightweight) fx be used, or is the readpixel the killer bottleneck for all? If i test performace with any other asset using readpix, should it be comparable for your asset?

Many ppl seems to say this is fastest asset for postfx they ever used. Did they use free or pro, is unclear. Any unity free users out there to share some info how this worked in real life?

5. morepixels

morepixels

Is there a way not to compile shaders for each scene? I would like to have the identical effect on all levels of the game, what would be the best practice?

6. super-cypher

super-cypher

Reading earlier in the thread, you said this hasn't made as much as you had hoped.

well can i make a suggestion. I think you need to make quite a few more example use demo's, i don't feel you are showing off what it is actually capable of doing. Maybe some current users can give you some ideas.

cheers.

7. morepixels

morepixels

Is there a way to turn off rendering to texture when turning off the effects? Right now, it's rendering to texture even if there are no effects, which causes aliasing and kills performance without any need to.

8. echologin

echologin

It is really slow when using unity free, this is more of a convenience then a usable free solution
    I am 99% sure i am going to take out the free support because its hindering updates by making
    things over complex while at same time not being useable ...

9. echologin

echologin

Not at this time ... i don't know if this would work but you could try putting manager in the 1st scene then mark it in script as DontDetroyOnLoad ... if that works let me know ..

but ill keep that in mind in next update

10. echologin

echologin

I have tried to do that .. but it caused one frame of garbage on screen ... are you using unity pro ?

11. wangzy_88

wangzy_88

Hi,
    I want to use Post FX Studio in my game.And I import settings from demo scene but my game change like this:

I can only see something on the top,would you help?I use 1.01 version.

12. echologin

echologin

I don't see the screenshot ? I'm guessing that is what its suppose to be

13. Silly_Rollo

Silly_Rollo

Is there an alternative to having to run 'Compile POST FX Shaders' on each scene? Every time I run it Unity freaks out and spends half an hour importing a bunch of files already in the project again.

Also, I really want to have the post fx only appear on a camera I am rendering to a render texture that is also instantiated at runtime so I'm not setting it up ahead of time in the editor. What's the best way to go about that?

Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
  14. echologin

echologin

Thats odd what is it importing ? it should just compile the shaders .. did you move my asset from its default location or anything ? or add anything in the echoLogin folder ?

If you use the Camera depth range option .. then create camera in Awake and set depth properly that should work

15. 3Duaun

3Duaun

I'm having some difficulty with Post FX Studio. Can anyone assist me with setting up a Depth of field AND a bloom effect in Pose FX studio? Thanks very much for any help.

16. Crazydadz

Crazydadz

Hi! Really nice plugin! I want to know if we can have SSAO and Area Effects with postfx 2.1? I can't find them in the example, so maybe this isn't done yet? Are you still planning them?
    Thank you!
    David

17. 3Duaun

3Duaun

PFX is such an efficient and powerful tool! thank you for creating it!

Ater exploring the SampleProjects, and the previous posts in the thread, I've found the MobileBloom demo, thanks much for that.
    Can anyone assist me in now to approach creating a depth of field effect in PFX? Or is that coming in a future update?

18. echologin

echologin

DOF is not in the package yet ... I will add it as soon as possible

hopeful likes this.
  19. 3Duaun

3Duaun

Thanks a ton Echologin. I know this package hasnt made you a ton in revenue. But I do appreciate you putting your time into it :)

20. echologin

echologin

ti does ok .. still have many plans for it . since i will be using it in my own game

OnePxl likes this.
  21. fearfactory

fearfactory

You will absolutely dominate the Asset store if you get these working, in this order. I quote this from an experienced dev who makes amazing scenes. I applied it to my scene, unfortunately it doesn't run very well on mobile, but I believe you can make it happen from what I've heard. I haven't purchased your Asset because I think that many people like me are looking specifically for bloom+dof to work well on mobile along with these post processing effects. You have rivals who name their Asset (Search engine optimization) better than you, such as "bloom dof mobile", so you could use a renaming once you have these effects in and you will turn up in searches more. Their code runs like crap btw and I've bought "mobile ready depth of field" packages and they ran like garbage.

In this order the dev told me to use (which doesn't work at all on mobile, but looks amazing) :
    "Vignetting, Bloom (intensity low), Depth of Field + AutoFocus from http://wiki.unity3d.com/index.php?title=DoFAutoFocus, SSAO (Must have ! If your terrain has ugly shadows, then disable), Tonemapping (Automatic Reinhard)"

22. echologin

echologin

Now that unity5 pro is free ... im taking out unity free support this will make adding things a hell of a lot simpler

DOF = i have an idea to make it as fast as it can be . not sure how those other packages are doing it ..

23. hopeful

hopeful

First thing I thought of, actually, when I heard the news. Looking forward to some new stuff! :)

24. 3Duaun

3Duaun

SOOOOOO need DOF in PostFX... and awesome news that you now get to solely focus on pro with the U5 announcement

25. fearfactory

fearfactory

Here is a free code package you can inspect to see how he got performant depth of field. Obviously, its main issue is that it requires custom shaders to be applied into the scene. But, its blazing fast:
    http://www.photonworkshop.com/index.php/blog/dof-bloom-package/

Other, paid, packages don't perform nearly as well.

You probably have a better idea on how to do it though so hopefully this doesn't influence you in a bad way, but gives some help.

26. echologin

echologin

Yeah i seen that package ages ago ...I may be able to get it faster will just have a quality setting or something ..

27. fearfactory

fearfactory

The biggest downside to his is that you have to place his custom shaders all over your objects, when that could've been used for Physically Based Shading, etc. that would make your scene look better.

If you can beat that, you should advertise your package all over the forums.

28. pixlweaver

pixlweaver

I've been experimenting with Post FX for a project, and am running into a couple issues that I can't seem to work around.

1) Sometimes when I use the compile shaders button, the effects no longer work. I'm not finding a way around this. Have tried importing settings, removing and re-adding the camera. Am I missing a step?

2) I set up an effect on my computer with Unity free. When it's built and tested on mobile, however, the effect turns into a black screen while it's on. The build computer is using Unity Pro. Do I need to re-compile shaders with Unity Pro or do some of the Post FX not work on mobile? I have tried compiling in Unity Pro but run in the issue listed above. The effect is a simple distortion.

Anyone happen to know fixes for these? I believe echologin is away at GDC this week.

29. RyuMaster

RyuMaster

I have simple effect, which distorts screen and applies some color overlay. If I set it as 'ON" inside editor (play on start), it plays just fine. If I set it to off, and then on start run this line of code:

GameObject.Find("_echoPFXManager").GetComponent<EchoPFXManager>().StartEffect(0, 0);

the effects is not running. What might be the case? I get no error, and I have only 1 group with 1 effects, so it really should work fine from code.

30. echologin

echologin

The plan is to not have to do things like that

31. echologin

echologin

Are you the one who added me to Skype ? this will be easier to figure out there ( if not add echoLogin )
    I wish i was at GDC .. in reality i have to help take care of my sick dad 1/3rd of the week :(

32. echologin

echologin

U shouldn't need to do a ObjectFind on manager .. look at the example code in one of the projects

Code (CSharp):
    1. public class emp : MonoBehaviour
    2. {
    3.     private EchoPFX _fx;
    5.     void Start ()
    6.     {
    7.         // Do this at start so its not allocating stuff during runtime
    8.         _fx = new EchoPFX ( "RenderGroup:0", "EMP" );
    9.     }
    11.     void Update ()
    12.     {
    13.         if ( Input.GetMouseButtonDown(0) )
    14.         {
    15.             _fx.Start();
    16.         }
    17.     }
    18. }

33. OnePxl

OnePxl

Aw S***, best of luck, I've been there.

34. echologin

echologin

thanks .. its weird I'm used to just working 24.7 now this .. but what can one do .. I'm only one in family that works at home

35. RyuMaster

RyuMaster

Ah, thank you. I did see this one in the docs '_fx =new EchoPFX ("RenderGroup:0", "EMP");', but I was 100% sure its for creating new effect from scratch. Wasn't very smart of me :)

36. pixlweaver

pixlweaver

Yes, that is me. Oops! I got an auto-response email from someone I had emailed before you, saying they were away at GDC. I didn't realize it was someone else's response until now. Sorry about that. Best wishes that your father recovers speedily.

37. mrBeam

mrBeam

Hi echo! Is there some way for us to use a rendered texture as mask for your shaders in the plugin? I render a neat moving BW texture and I need to use that as a mask.

38. echologin

echologin

That a feature i am working on .. so you can do realtime area effects

Right now i am in process of making this all Unity5 only so i am ripping out all the read pixel crap which is too slow to be useful ..

OnePxl likes this.
  39. mrBeam

mrBeam

Cool! Although we are on 4. So will reading rendered textures only be for 5?

40. hopeful

hopeful

Render textures is for Unity 5 indie and Unity 4 Pro. Unity 4 indie can't use render textures and is thus forced into the read pixel stuff which is too slow.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2015
  41. mrBeam

mrBeam

Thanks for clearing that up! Luckily I'm on 4 pro ^^

42. echologin

echologin

R u going to unity 5 soon ? i can stay on 4.6.3 but it would be a pain in da ass

tho other then demos ... u could manually copy source files back to a 4.6.x project

i won't take the 4.6 support out of code ( only 3.5.x )

And yes after this update it will only use render-textures ( 4.6.x pro will work )

which means all future updates will not work with 4.6.x free version but will work in unity 5 free

43. mrBeam

mrBeam

Pl
    Please don't stay on 463 on my account, do what's best for the product. It gives me another incitement to persuade everyone that we need to move to 5 ;)

44. echologin

echologin

OK cool ... ! this will help updates get done faster

45. Project-Mysh

Project-Mysh

Hi there echologin,

You have a planned release date for unity 5 version? I'm considering to buy this because the performance hit that unity have with the Image effects queue.

46. WPCJack

WPCJack

Just bought a copy.

Really excited about the U5 conversion

47. kriket

kriket

WHEN r u moving this to u5?

jovino likes this.
  48. jxxxxst

jxxxxst

Hey there,

I have a hard time setting effects variables per script.
    I want to control a persistent contrast effect, which is active all the time.

My Shader consists of only one pass and only uses the contrast effect option.

Could you give me a code example of how to set the Cutoff parameter in that effect option? Rendergroup's name is "RenderGroup:0" .

Thanks!

49. echologin

echologin

Sorry I missed this post .. do u have Skype ? ( name = echoLogin )

50. echologin

echologin

I just submitted the unity5 version to asset store and lowered price to $25.00

Sorry it took so long I had multiple bad things happen this year ...

if anyone wants the latest version who has bought it before just PM me your order number or add me to Skype ( echoLogin )

chelnok, Project-Mysh and hopeful like this.