Search Unity

Post FX Studio v2.0 [ RELEASED ]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by echologin, Jan 2, 2014.

1. bfowle

bfowle

2. echologin

echologin

Hi thanks for buying my asset. that effect will be in next update along with many more options and optimizations.

3. bfowle

bfowle

Rad! Looking forward to it~

4. echologin

echologin

Me too this is taking longer than i ever thought ( as always with me, have a hard time not adding and optimzing )

Will be worth the wait.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  5. echologin

echologin

Here is temp fix for multiply darkness bug.

Load up a file in Assets/echoLogin/PFX/Templates/echologin-postfx-frag-multiply

this is how it looks
    _ioRGB.xyz *= lerp ( fixed3(1,1,1), _ioRGB.xyz * _echoMult.xyz, _echoMultFade );

but it should be this
    _ioRGB.xyz *= lerp ( fixed3(1,1,1), _echoMult.xyz, _echoMultFade );

Just change line save file and press compile on _EchoPFXManager

Sorry about that was a simple oversight.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2014
  6. echologin

echologin

Almost done with update, sorry that its taking so long.

There are a lot of unknowns when making something that hasn't been done before.

7. echologin

echologin

1.1 is done and just sent out betas, if anyone wants beta who purchased it just PM me your invoice #

Added tons of new things

* More blend modes for solid color
    * Posterize ( toon type effects with per color channel color count )
    * Gamma ( can be per color channel )
    * Contrast ( can be per color channel )
    * RGB Separate
    * Blur - mobile and normal
    * Copy pass to next render-group option ( this can be used for bloom effects or doing effects on certain colors )
    * Can add Multiple effects of same type now
    * Lots of optimizations in manager and shaders
    * Noise is improved
    * Can now choose precision of frag shader per pass
    * Can now choose wrap mode of render texture per pass
    * Can now choose to have an effect always on or controlled.
    * Can choose to have effect Fade Normal, Fade Always 100% or use shader keyword to switch to fast fade when fade is 100%

8. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

+ best chromatic scanlines i've seen.

9. Skyrise

Skyrise

It's awesome, playing with it right now.

A question: can you please post an example on how to get a bloom on a particoular colour / apply some postprocessing only on a colour on the scene?
    We're still trying to figure out exactly how to do it. :D

10. echologin

echologin

This is for 1.1 Beta not version 1.0 ( will submit as soon as i can )

In the 1.1 Beta first look at the demo scene it has the bloom effect and study how i setup the copy pass.

So what you want to do is…

Have one render group setup.

Now click on BUILD Tab look under Copy to Next Render Group ( copy1 )

1- Choose bilinear filtering
    2- Add Contrast Option
    3- Add Color Option - Multiply ( press color button and choose multiply )
    4- Press the A button on both effect options ( this makes effects always in shader )
    5- Now press Add New Effect and check the toggle to left of the new effect button.
    6- Next click on MAKE tab
    7- Add contrast option and add the color option to this effect.
    8- On color option choose the color you want to let pass through
    9- On Contrast toggle lock on and make contrast pretty high ( just let bright colors through )
    10- Next click Add Render Group button near top so we have a 2nd group:
    11- Click Render Group 2 button to make sure its active for editing.
    12- Click Add New Effect and name it and also check the toggle to left so its on.
    13- Click the Group Tab and under render texture size choose divide and enter 8 in both fields.
    14- Click the build tab
    15- Under pass 1 Filter Mode choose bilinear filtering
    16- Under Pass 1 Blend mode choose SCREEN or ADD
    17- Add the blur option.
    18- Click Make tab
    19- Add blur option ( this has a sub option for mobile or normal )

That should do it !

You could also put blurr in the copy pass and do nothing with 2nd render group this is faster but doesn't
    look as good.

So what its doing basically is copying the screen to smaller texture only including bright colors, then filtering out colors with the multiply. Then it blurs this smaller render texture and overlays it on top of normal screen.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  11. gecko

gecko

I need a super-optimized grayscale shader for mobile. Unity's grayscale shader uses 2ms CPU and about 4ms GPU. Does anybody know if Post FX's grayscale shader is faster than that?

12. echologin

echologin

Hi, my default grayscale would be faster. Unity's uses a luminance ramp texture mine does not ( but there is a similar method as unity does it included as well )

The thing with mine is once u add grayscale to one pass you can add more effects to same pass with little overhead.

I had a 1 pass test running at 60fps in a 3gs ( using unity pro )

If you do buy it PM me your invoice # the v1.1 beta i have is faster than 1.0 ( and has tons of new features and fixes )

13. gecko

gecko

Great, thanks for the reply. Sounds good.

14. echologin

echologin

33% OFF until i get 1.1 submitted ( which should be monday )

If you buy it PM me invoice # to get current beta

15. IanStanbridge

IanStanbridge

Hi, are you planning to add screen space reflection and screen space ambient occlution effects at some point ? Or is it relatively easy to convert existing unity post processing effects over to post-fx-studio ones if you have the source code for them ? I'm interested in FX studio because it looks to have good performance and dynamic resolution scalling but at the moment it doesn't do most of the effects I would like to use to justify a purchase ? What's your roadmap for it ?

16. echologin

echologin

An SSAO type effect will be in a future update and DOF, I have been thinking about the reflection as well.

Some effects that are not included could use the custom code option, but right now there is no depth buffer option which would be needed for ssao ( but this will all be in eventually )

Update after next update ( 1.2 ) will have area effects and probably a fast DOF
    ( area effects like jet engine exhaust and so forth or heat above campfire )

Eventually the plan is to make it more node based also, just want to perfect the system 1st.

Could you list the effects you need ?

Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
  17. IanStanbridge

IanStanbridge

That sounds like a good roadmap. Also I take it that I can still use Unity's existing post processing system alongside FX Studio without issues , is that correct ? The effects I need are per object glow , screenspace reflections , screen space ambient occlusion and possibly depth of field .

18. echologin

echologin

I haven't tried it yet with unity full screen efffects because the way they work each one causes another blit, they stack and get slower and slower as you add more.

Per Object Glow - You can glow things now per object but there is no occlusion, this will be in future update, or you can glow by brightness of color.
    ScreenSpace reflections - soon
    SSAO - soon
    DOF will be in v1.2 for sure and fast for mobile.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
  19. echologin

echologin

Adding one last thing today to v1.1 beta

Static area masking for all effects ( will be optional so when not used it will be faster )

20. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Just seen a SNEAK preview of the masked post fx and it's f-ing amazing. Speed seems unaffected, I can think of so many ways to use this.

21. echologin

echologin

Remember this is all in v1.1 beta ,if you buy it PM me invoice# and ill send latest beta ( or better add me to skype "echoLogin" ill send beta and answer questions )

22. BuildABurgerBurg

BuildABurgerBurg

Purchased !! I'm now a member of the Post FX club !! whoot!

23. IanStanbridge

IanStanbridge

Would it be possible to add an option to generate the render texture at a lower resolution that the screen of the device on Unity Free especially for mobile ? I have unity pro and the performance is great on pc which is what I got it for but out of interest I tried it for android where I only have unity free and got about 2 fps in the demo on a nexus 5. I got a much higher fps than that on my older phone which is much less powerful so I'm assuming the terrible performance must be due to having to emulate render textures on unity free for a high resolution. Since most new phones have very high resolution screens as standard now I would suggest you make it scale the resolution on unity free or it will be unusable for a lot of people.

Also would it be possible to add an option in emulate it's usage on a much lower performance gpu so that developers with high end gpu's could check it looks acceptable for people with lower end systems so they can see how the dynamic scaling works ? That or produce a scene that is intentionally too demanding for most gpu's to show it's dynamic scaling off ?

24. PrisonerOfLies

PrisonerOfLies

you can set the render texture size to be divided by 2

25. echologin

echologin

This works in the v1.1 beta with Unity Free, PM me your invoice number and ill send latest beta tonight.

In v1.1 there is auto detail mode that works in unity free, it will lower the rez of the screen dynamically in realtime per frame depending on how intense scene is.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2014
  26. echologin

echologin

Cool PM me invoice ill send beta its so much more than v1.0

27. EmeralLotus

EmeralLotus

Cool Shaders.

Does anyone know what the differences are between this package and the Aubergine Effects for Unity Pro ?
    Aside the fact that this works for unity free and aubergine for pro.

I have Aubergine and need to know if this framework could add a lot more options to my post effects toolkit.
    If anyone knows, please share your views.

Edit: Is there a Depth of Field effect?

Cheers.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
  28. echologin

echologin

There will be DOF in update after next. I do not own Aubergines pack but it looking at the files on the asset store it seems those effects stack ( each one causes one or more blits to screen). Where as with mine you can add multiple effects to one blit pass for max speed. Also mine is an effect maker, not a set of pre made effects so you can tailor what goes in final shader for maximum speed.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
  29. lazygunn

lazygunn

Hey there! What ssao method were you thinking of implementing? I've noticed a few methods here and there and then theres other occlusion methods that I think you could have a look at. I can probs link you on skype to what i've been looking at if you want, unless you have a very particular intention

30. echologin

echologin

Its not going to be the textbook ssao, i think i have a trick that would make it look almost same but WAY faster.
    Do i have you on skype already ? if not add me "echoLogin"

31. bfowle

bfowle

Playing with 1.1. Just, pure, awesomeness. Amazing work!

32. echologin

echologin

Thanks!!! I have updates almost hourly now if you want to add me to Skype ( "echoLogin")

On beta 10 now

Really need more feedback

Just added ability so users can turn on and off cameras ( or even add new cameras ) during runtime.
    Also optimized the mask code so its as fast as can be. multiple effects can share a mask so its one texture read per pixel even if 5 effects use the mask. And mask reading will auto turn off in shader if all the effects using it are off or have a fade value of 0 -- Speedy Stuff

Also beta 10 ( and all future updates ) will work with unity 3.5.7 and up.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
  33. PrisonerOfLies

PrisonerOfLies

One of the best post fx for unity free. Good quality and seems to have no performance hit on pc :)

34. echologin

echologin

Now Thats what I'm talking about !!!

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
  35. echologin

echologin

Beta 11 is ready, all known bugs fixed , scan lines are improved and will now work on the Sony Vita.
    and masking is totally optimized.

I sent link to people I remembered bought it, so if you didn't get link PM invoice # and ill send link
    ( or msg me on Skype )

Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
  36. derkoi

derkoi

Awesome :)

37. echologin

echologin

On Release Candidate 1, should not be long now before i submit 1.1

Added Animation curve editing to fade in, sustain and fade out so you can now make effects look more natural, flicker, pulse anything u can draw ! Also added gradient to the color option you can supply a texture the gradient is made from and even use a curve to affect how the gradient is made from texture.

$gradient2.png

Last edited: Mar 9, 2014
  38. echologin

echologin

Just did a test, my distortion effects are 140% faster than ones that come with unity. When using 2 effects at same time vs 2 with unity distortion effects the mine are 200% faster. ( Vortex and Fisheye, and my fisheye looks better )
    ** tested on a 2009 imac **

This is using unity pro of course.

submitting 1.1 very soon.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2014
  39. echologin

echologin

Here is the v1.1 Space Demo.

Has Bulge Effect with Shockwave ( Improved shockwave and made it take into account aspect ratio of screen )
    New better scan-lines. ( horz and vertical ) which i used to make a retro crt look.
    Effect curves for more natural effects.
    Used vortex effect for the radiation effect now

Effects used
    Greyscale ( fades out at start )
    Color - Add ( flash effects )
    Color - Multiply ( night vision )
    Scan-lines ( Scan-line and crt look )
    Distortion - Shockwave ( shield hit )
    Distortion - Bulge ( shield hit )
    Texture Add ( shield hit )
    Distortion - Vortex
    Blur ( bloom )
    Contrast ( for bloom )
    Luminance ramp ( thermal vision )

v1.1 Space Demo

Last edited: Mar 12, 2014
  40. helios

helios

Wow dude, this looks amazing. Been using the tool for a while now - insane stuff.

41. PrisonerOfLies

PrisonerOfLies

wow dude, I can't call PostFX an asset, more like an upgrade to your unity engine :p Free and Pro

42. echologin

echologin

Cool Thanks !

43. echologin

echologin

Cool now if i could just get 1.1 submitted id be happy.

44. Mcg

Mcg

hey was just wondering does this support animated textures and masks? was looking at trying to achieve something similar to how diablo 3 does the low health screen effect :)

45. echologin

echologin

The version i am about to submit supports static masks, realtime area effect will be in update after this.

You could manually animate the overlay textures via its offset and tiling, could you show me a video with the exact effect you mean ? I could always add it in an update.

-Scott

Last edited: Mar 14, 2014
  46. Mcg

Mcg

the scrolling blood texture is quite subtle and not too visible on this video but the effect seems to consist of a pulsing mask layer that covers a scrolling blood texture with both being able to fade in and out :)

http://youtu.be/Zr26i-G_dZI?t=1m54s

47. echologin

echologin

I could add that easily, looks like it may be almost a dissolve kinda thing pulsing
    ( if i have the time i will add it to 1.1 real quick )

Dont forget there is a custom code option in this u can write your own effects also.

48. echologin

echologin

I just added this ability to 1.1 u can pulse a mask in/out using RGB as the mask then Alpha as a dissolve map. You can also scroll a texture using this mask effect w/o the mask effect scrolling.

you can also fade this effect in/out using the fade values so its not as abrupt as that video when it turns on/off

Last edited: Mar 16, 2014
  49. Mcg

Mcg

awesome I just bought it now will try it out when I get some time :)

50. echologin

echologin

Thanks, hey PM me your invoice and i will send latest version.