Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Possible unintended reference comparison. Consider casting the X side expression to type Y

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by SparrowGS, Jan 8, 2019.

1. SparrowGS

SparrowGS

I have this line in a mb that also implements someInterface
    Code (CSharp):
    1. if(someInteface != this)
    now, if I try to cast it i get an error when ever the reference to someInterface is from a different mb that implements it, the reason i didn't do this in the first place.

why is the unity console bugging me about it?
    Am i missing something? that line have been there for months without an issue, i'm getting pretty sick of seeing this warning pop up whenever i recompile the code

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
  2. xVergilx

xVergilx

I think it's because it is never "this" due to being interface. You need to cast it first to the type. Although, that might not work as well.

Problem with != is the same as == for the interface. It is overriden by Unity's operator, but for the interfaces used == as reference comparison. So, you're comparing references only, which causes that warning.

JoshuaMcKenzie likes this.
  3. I guess you want to do this instead?
    Code (CSharp):
    1. if (this is someInterface)
    If you want to check that this implements someInterface.

xVergilx likes this.
  4. SparrowGS

SparrowGS

I see. (sorry for the delay, I don't remember being alerted about this)

well, the code I have actually runs perfectly fine so I don't really feel like changing it, and I was actually wondering if there's a way to tell unity to stop showing a warning in general.

5. Charlicopter

Charlicopter

Ctrl+. => Suppress CS0252

6. palex-nx

palex-nx

This warning is coming from C#. This comparsion will return true if someInterface refereces this, but if there's any comparsion operation defined on that classes, it won't be called. This warning warns you about this.