Search Unity

Possible to use DOTs for physics and game objects for navigation in same scene

Discussion in 'Entity Component System' started by DromoDesigner, Apr 7, 2021.

1. DromoDesigner

DromoDesigner

I am making a game where players build vehicles from blocks - a bit like the game Besiege.

The blocks and vehicles will be physics based, and I am thinking of using DOTS for this.

The player will be able to control and test their vehicles against AI soldiers, which will use the navmesh to move around.

Is it possible to use DOTs physics for the blocks used to make the player's vehicle, but keep the AI soldiers as game objects, so that they can use the navmesh navigation system to move around the map?

Also, would it be possible to convert the AI soldiers to DOTs ragdolls if they are killed by an explosion, so that they can realistically react to the blast?

Thank you for your help.

2. Antypodish

Antypodish

Try not to mix unity.physics and unityEngine.physics (physX).
    While it is possible, you will just ask yourself for lot of troubles.

You can use experimental unity.animations (on own risk), to animate characters with DOTS.
    You can look up for DOTS navmesh solutions. There are multiple discussions about it on this forum.

3. DromoDesigner

DromoDesigner

Thank you for your suggestions.

I was going to try and avoid mixing the physics systems - the AI navmesh agents would not have any physics at all, and would only use the DOTs physics for ragdolls if they were killed by an explosion.

So I hope to just use the DOTs physics. Do you think it would be possible to use the entities for the vehicles and blocks, whilst using navmesh game objects for the AI (which will not use any physics)?