Search Unity

Possible to use an external display on iOS?

Discussion in 'iOS and tvOS' started by JoeStrout, Apr 20, 2018.

1. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

If I were to get one of these Apple Digital AV Adapters for my iPhone, would that appear to Unity as a second display?

The manual says that multi-display is only supported on Mac, Windows, and Linux. But I'm hoping that's because whoever wrote that page wasn't aware that iOS even supports multiple displays. Has anyone tried this?

If that's a no-go, what about AirPlay? Apple's docs seem to imply that you don't have to use AirPlay in screen-mirroring mode; apps can stream content to it directly. Can we do that in Unity? (I want to display a different camera view to the external display than what the user sees — this is for a VR app.)

2. MrMatthias

MrMatthias

3. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

That's a good link, and in particular this part about presenting content on an external display sounds very relevant.

So it sounds like (1) AirPlay is pretty much the same as a physically-connected external display, as far as iOS is concerned; (2) you can either present different content on that separate window (display) or mirror the actual screen; and (3) if you do nothing special, then you get mirroring by default.

But to present different content on that display would require support from Unity, I think. Which the manual still claims Unity doesn't have. Which is a real shame, since with a VR app, you really want the external display to show a non-stereo, non-warped view of the scene.