Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Possible to sort profiler data by a sample section's total time without slicing by call stack?

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by graybear209, Dec 12, 2021.

1. graybear209

graybear209

TLDR:
    forums-post.png

I'm interested in identifying "lower level" methods that account for an outsized proportion of CPU usage each frame that are called typically called many times from different places in my game's code base.

Suppose I've instrumented each method in my code and it looks like below:

Code (CSharp):
    1. void OuterMethod1()
    2. {
    3.     LowLevelMethod();
    4. }
    6. void OuterMethod2()
    7. {
    8.     LowLevelMethod();
    9. }
    The profiler hierarchy view would show something like:

OuterMethod1 (4.2ms)
    > LowLevelMethod (4ms)
    OuterMethod2 (5.2ms)
    > LowLevelMethod (4ms)

The "Time ms" data column for each instance of "LowLevelMethod" method would only show the time used by that method for that particular trace, it wouldn't sum across all invocations of LowLevelMethod across all traces.

Is there any way I can sort profiler data by "Time ms" across ALL instances of a method/profiling sample name?

Given the example above, I'd want it to look something like:

OuterMethod1 (4.2ms)
    OuterMethod2 (5.2ms)
    LowLevelMethod (8ms)

It seems like this data is collected. If I select a row in the profiler with "Show calls" enabled, there is an entry with the total time aggregated across all invocations of that method. But is there some way to sort the table data by that single aggregated value?

alexeyzakharov likes this.
  2. alexeyzakharov

alexeyzakharov

Thanks for the question and detailed usecase explanation!

We have an extra tool on top of profiler which I believe can help you with total values analysis - https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/com.unity.performance.profile-analyzer@1.1/manual/single-view.html

You can pull the data into Profile Analyzer and in single view sort samples by total aggregated time.
    That would give you exactly the timings you want to see:
    OuterMethod1 (4.2ms)
    OuterMethod2 (5.2ms)
    LowLevelMethod (8ms)

Thanks!

a436t4ataf and graybear209 like this.
  3. MartinTilo

MartinTilo

Unity Technologies

Thank you for the feedback. I'd like to clarify something a bit. Did you mean you want to only have to filter for "LowLevelMethod" and still see the different calling scopes, like "OuterMethod1" and "OuterMethod2" without having to explicitly filter for them, and just seeing the LowLevelMethod time split across these?

Profile Analyzer can probably help you somewhat but not in this regard, as it discards the hierarchical aspect of the profiler data beyond the call depth. It's an interesting point though and I think I have some ideas how that can be achieved. It's gonna be a while until we get to that but I'm noting it down with a fitting feature idea we have :)

4. graybear209

graybear209

The core of the question was just the aggregate `LowLevelMethod` time without the need for calling scopes. It would be pretty sweet if I could see something like a stacked line graph of all the different calling scopes adding up to the total time but for the moment I'm happy with jumping back and forth between the Profile Analyzer (if I need the aggregate) and the Profiler (if I want to see by scopes, even if only for a single frame at a time)

MartinTilo likes this.