Search Unity

1. Welcome to the Unity Forums! Please take the time to read our Code of Conduct here to familiarize yourself with the rules and how to post constructively.

2. Unity 2022.1 is now available as the latest Tech release.
    Dismiss Notice

Possible to Resources.Load Assets From Package?

Discussion in 'Package Manager' started by MegamaDev, Oct 26, 2019.

1. MegamaDev

MegamaDev

I have a Screen Transitions package which I use to create fades, wipes, iris-outs, etc. across multiple projects. At the moment, all of these effects are based on regular mesh rendering, and they all use a single material and a single shader; I figured I could save some time by putting material and shader in the package alongside the code.

The material, which has the shader assigned to it in usual material fashion, is in a Resources folder at the root of the package. Nonetheless, when I attempt to
    Resources.Load<Material>("Transition")
    , I end up with the default , which makes the screen transitions very ineffectual indeed. I've also tried loading from
    "Resources/Transition"
    and from
    "Packages/com.clouds.screentransitions/Resources/Transition"
    , but in both cases I get nothing.

Am I wasting my time here? Should I just bite the bullet and make a local copy of the material for each project I do? Or is there actually a way to
    Resources.Load(...)
    assets from inside a package?

Last edited: Oct 26, 2019
  2. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi @MegamaDev ,

If you are using Unity 2018.3 or higher, may I suggest using the new Addessables package to add assets from a package? This will be more efficient and it is also the recommended way to add assets from a package into a player. See the package documentation for more details.

Regards,

Pascal

3. MegamaDev

MegamaDev

Huh. You know, I hadn't thought of that.

At the time of my initial writing, I thought Addressables were for Asset Bundles only, but I have since experimented with them a bit (unrelated to this) and discovered that they're not just for Asset Bundles.

Thanks for pointing this approach out!

unityunity